PC Boot Problem

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,
I'm hoping you can help me out with this one. Twice now I've turned on the PC and although I can hear the power supply, and the lights all come on, it doesn't boot - nothing on the screen which simply states 'no signal'
I found that disconnecting the power gets it working again although it takes about 5 minutes to sort itself out.
Anyone think what might be causing this?
I'm running Win7 32bit on a 3yr old PC with 4gb RAM, but I'm wondering if it might be hardware related rather than software - then again I haven't a clue.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi Mike

The "No Signal" message is pointing to the graphics card or monitor. When the monitor is not getting a signal from the computer, you will see that massage.

You might try pulling the graphics card out (if not onboard) and then putting the card back. This might help if there is a bad connections between the card and motherboard.

Reaction score
How would this explain unplugging the PC and it working? I should also have mentioned there are no beeps when it doesn't boot up, suggesting it doesn't get that far? When it does it gives one beep.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
How old is your graphics card? Once I had one that was not too old and the thermal interface material (thermal grease) had dried out and cracked! It caused the GPU to fry out and the card was dead!

Reaction score
If there is no beeps and such I believe your problem may be the monitor. Try using another monitor real quick, also you may want to be sure you are attaching the devices correctly. You may also want to check the cables and cords to be sure no damage may have come to them.

Reaction score
How would this explain unplugging the PC and it working? I should also have mentioned there are no beeps when it doesn't boot up, suggesting it doesn't get that far? When it does it gives one beep.
Completely disconnecting the power will reset all memory and force your hardware to make new connections with each other. If power has not been completely disconnected, any problems or glitches can be carried to the next boot.

I wasn't telling you this would fix your issue but certainly wouldn't hurt to give it a try. It is entirely up to you if you want to try our suggestions or not. I too had this very same issue not long ago and had to use the VGA cable for a few days. Funny thing the DVI started working again on its own.
Read more about my issue here - https://www.w7forums.com/my-computer-booted-black-screen-t4120.html

PS - The only way we can help is if you try our suggestions and let us know if they worked or not. There are hundreds of smart people here reading the pages and if they don't know what you tried, there really is no point to suggesting anything further. You can take this as you like, I have seen a few suggestions but you have not posted back that you tried them much less whether or not they worked. Please let us know what you have tried and that it worked or not.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Did the computer beep before? Some newer build no longer have that function.

I believe your computer is booting up, based on what I have read. Your graphics card may have gone kaput on you.

One time I accidentally bumped the "Source" button on the bottom of my monitor, changing it from Digital source to Analog source, and I couldn't see the video either. Check and see if you have that feature and check the setting.

Reaction score
I came here to learn allot more about computers and you guys are doing a great job of teaching me. I am by no means an expert on hardware and im learning allot by suggesting things and then listening to everybodys response. Thank you Nibiru2012
and clifford_cooley you both taught me something new today. Also Yes I agree it sounds like a graphics card issue or a monitor issue, again I am no expert but you guys are helping me along the way to perhaps being one someday. :)

Reaction score
I'm not being 'arsey' just trying to understand how these things work and therefore increase my own knowledge.
My monitor has a DVI plug but is connected to the back of the PC via a VGA adaptor (looks like a dongle).
Checked all cables and re plugged etc and so far it has booted up OK each time but time will tell. As it boots up it gives one beep, after which the monitor turns on. When I get the problem there is no beep and no monitor connection.

After disconnecting etc when it does boot back up it is very stuttery in loading windows, and presumably all other services. I have the clock on the desk top and the second hand moves every 3-5 seconds at a time for about 3 minutes.

Haven't had chance to re seat anthing yet but will give it a go next time the problem occurs (if it occurs).

Thanks all,

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
We know you're not trying to be "arsey". You must be a Brit! LOL

Perhaps you have already done this, but I would double-check the graphics card to make sure it is fully seated into it's socket. Sometimes, the card can get askew just slightly and cause problems.

Also just removing the card and resetting it can help by ensuring it is properly seated.

Reaction score
I shall give that a go, but could this all be something as simple as needing a new BIOS battery?

Reaction score
OK, just got home to find the problem was back. I'm wondering if a pattern is emerging as it seems to be 24 hours after each power disconnect? I managed to use the PC no probs this morning before going to work.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
If your motherboard is over 4 years old, you may need a new battery for the CMOS.

Reaction score
It's not uncommon, especially on older systems to hear a beep at the completion of the POST (Power On Selt-Test) that runs each time you start your PC. I would only be concerned about the beep if it is new (that is if you never heard it before but now you do), if that is the case it could be an error indicator of some kind. However each manufacturer uses their own beep code system so you would need to consult the hardware vendors for your system in that case.

Reaction score
I shall get a new battery today and swap that. I've done all the ther checks that have been suggested.
As far as I can remember there has always been a beep at the start of the boot up process, and now it is the comforting noise that tells me it is going to boot up. I left it for about 15 - 20 minutes yesterday when it didn't boot, just incase it was waiting for something else - but obviously not.
Lets hope a new battery does the trick.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hi Mike. Think back, when did this problem first begin to occur? Were there any hardware changes, or did it occur with a new BIOS or OS install perhaps?

The "lag" effect and excessively long boot makes it sound like a hardware fault somewhere. If you don't have spare hardware to replace things with (and rule them out) then it gets harder to pin it down... does the board have any diagnostic LEDs on it by chance?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Have you experienced a power outage recently?

Last week I lost power and had a problem. I unplugged all computers during the outage and when power was restored 1 of my computers would not post. No beep, no fan activity and no monitor activity but the light on the power button was lit. I opened it up and reseated video card and memory sticks and took the opportunity to clean some dust bunnies. I got a lot of dust out of the PS fan and heat sink area and cpu fan.That computer is in a dusty environment, across the basement from a wood working area. After that it booted right up and all is normal again.

Just a thought, and good luck in getting it sorted.

Reaction score
Mike your system will still boot with a failing battery. The only thing the battery is for is to keep power on the system BIOS so that the BIOS can remember USER changes within the BIOS and keep system time. Without adequate power the system BIOS will revert back to default values just as it does when you pull the battery out. I do hope I'm wrong but highly doubt a battery replacement will help.

Reaction score
When I find a system with problems, the first thing I do is dis-assemble the computer peace by peace. This allows for cleaning and visually inspecting all the parts as well as checking all the connectors. I have lost count of how many times this has helped with a similar experience as your own. Over time connections in the PC are lost and need to be re-seated. All these connections are needed during BIOS hardware check. If anyone of them are bad the BIOS can hang causing the system not to boot.

Ask a Question