SOLVED Partition on a 2Tb drive appears to have corrtupted an entire folder

Reaction score
I turn on my PC this morning with Win 7 Pro 64bit and the L partition on the 2Tb HD has completed destroyed hundreds of video MPG files and turned them into the following:
6cd8cadc_101717_271.alp
6cd8cadc_101717_271.EVMS
6cd8cadc_101717_271.EVMS.index2
6cd8cadc_8751_90869.alp
6cd8cadc_8751_90869.EVMS
6cd8cadc_8751_90869.EVMS.index2

and many many more - all unregonizable file extentions. 429 of these files to be exact. Yesterday when turning off the PC these were MPG2 files encoded by Pinnacle Studio 15 and Studio 20 software. The other three folders on this partition are find and the files are intaft. The other parition on this 2Tb drive is also just fine as best I can tell.

I tried to find events in the event viewer and came up with some that look like this under the security tab
Code Integrity determined that the page hashes of an image file are not valid. The file could be improperly signed without page hashes or corrupt due to unauthorized modification. The invalid hashes could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\sxs.dll

Anyone know what the above message means?
HAs the OS caused this damage?
Can the files be reconstituted from from the stuff that is there today?

The drive is an MBR and formatted in NTFS with whatever the default settings were. It was taken out of a Win 10 machine and installed in this new Win 7 PC and has worked fine for a couple of weeks until this am. It does have 11k hours on it and I ran SFC /Scannow on it with nothing to report. I set the pointer to the L,M drive but am not sure the scan is not operating on C: with that method????

Model : WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0

Firmware : 80.00A80

Serial Number : WD-WMC4N1937623

Disk Size : 2000.3 GB (8.4/137.4/2000.3)

Buffer Size : Unknown

Queue Depth : 32

# of Sectors : 3907029168

Rotation Rate : 5400 RPM

Interface : Serial ATA

Major Version : ACS-2

Minor Version : ----

Transfer Mode : SATA/600

Power On Hours : 11011 hours

Power On Count : 2358 count

Temparature : 33 C (91 F)

Health Status : Good

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When files/drive gets corrupted it doesn't still have orderly named files with odd extensions; this seems more like a program did something (and I can't rule out the possibility of a virus program, such as ransomware).

I searched for the .alp & .EMVS file extensions but didn't find any relevant results that might pinpoint a program/virus name though.

I would run a complete virus scan. And also, what programs have you install recently?

Reaction score
This was solved on another Win 7 forum by myself about one week ago

TONIGHT I HAVE DISCOVERED THAT WHEN STUDIO 20 ULITIMATE IS CLOSED ALL THE EXPORTED FILES TO MY L:drive into the folder name "Videos from SSD(V)", end up being deleted. Some how in the Studio 20 setup screen where all the other file locations were set to C:\***** the render location was the place on the L drive. So upon closing Studio it cleaned the folder out with the exception of those unreadable files. I moved it back to the C:\ drive and now I can start saving the MP2 files again. I have no idea why Studio thought to grab that drive/folder - I certainly did not change it since I wasn't even familar with the setup panel - I had been using it the way it installed!!!

So I guess I now know what happened to all my files in that L: folder location - must have been last night when it went crazy​

I don't think I am supposed to post another forum link here

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Then you might check the recycle bin & see if maybe the files you had there originally can be recovered.

Ask a Question