SOLVED "open with" menu situation

Reaction score
I'm used to taking pics and sending them out in emails , quick and easy in XP, but apparently not the same in win 7. My prgrm of choice - paint shop pro - while installed here , doesn't show up in my right click list of 'open with" or " send to ' and i can't seem to get it there. Posted methods I've found go deep into registry meddling and I don't think it has to be that difficult.
And when trying to copy/paste a pic into an email win 7 doesn't embed it , it attaches it instead.
I'm STUMPED........anybody got a way through here?
I just want to be able to take a pic and EMBED it to send it to somebody , otherwise why bother . i'm LOOKIN at the darn thing - no pic required ....requesting pic assistance, thank you..

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Everything is controlled by the file extension, so what is the file extension of the picture you are processing?

What version of Paint Shop Pro? The latest version is X6.

Is your mail program local software on your computer, such as the Outlook 2010 I use, or is it web-based mail such as hotmail.com, gmail, etc? The settings of your email can control the way attachments appear to you; even if you see it as an attachment the recipient may see it in the body of text or visa versa.

Reaction score
Everything is controlled by the file extension, so what is the file extension of the picture you are processing?

What version of Paint Shop Pro? The latest version is X6.

Is your mail program local software on your computer, such as the Outlook 2010 I use, or is it web-based mail such as hotmail.com, gmail, etc? The settings of your email can control the way attachments appear to you; even if you see it as an attachment the recipient may see it in the body of text or visa versa.
I'm used to using PSP7 to deal with all kinds of pics , but mostly jpegs - if i had to choose an extension.That old program does everything I need so i've never bothered to update.
my mail prgrm is equally ancient , I'm using eudora ( i spose i could update to thunderbird but blablabla). Using XP I could take a pic get it into PSP7, copy/paste or send to , and all without even bothering to name the pic or store it anywhere. then I could do what I wanted to it and just copy/paste it into the text of a letter , embed it rather than attach it, quick and dirty but now in Win7 , although PSP7 is installed here , I can't even get it into the send to or open with lists , and copy/paste into PSP7 doesn;t work either....I'm stumped.
Thanks TrainableMan.. I'm in hope that you'll have something more to add here.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When newer programs are installed they create a link in the registry to tell the computer what file types the program can handle. Without those links it will never offer it as an "open with" option so, you have to create your own:

- Right-click on the JPG
- choose "open with" > "choose default program"
- in the new window click "browse".
- Now you need to locate the PSP7 executable which is probably under C:\Program Files (x86)\ etc.

...You will need to repeat the procedure for any other extensions that you want handled with PSP7, such as BMPs and PCXs.

NOTE: I seem to recall I still had trouble opening files this way with PSP6; it would open PSP6 but the file didn't open so, then I had to still go to File > Open. I believe it was an issue with the delay till the program actually opened and when the filename parameter was being passed; I don't know for certain but, if you have the same issue with PSP7, I do know my situation was only solved by upgrading.

Reaction score
When newer programs are installed they create a link in the registry to tell the computer what file types the program can handle. Without those links it will never offer it as an "open with" option so, you have to create your own:

- Right-click on the JPG
- choose "open with" > "choose default program"
- in the new window click "browse".
- Now you need to locate the PSP7 executable which is probably under C:\Program Files (x86)\ etc.

...You will need to repeat the procedure for any other extensions that you want handled with PSP7, such as BMPs and PCXs.

NOTE: I seem to recall I still had trouble opening files this way with PSP6; it would open PSP6 but the file didn't open so, then I had to still go to File > Open. I believe it was an issue with the delay till the program actually opened and when the filename parameter was being passed; I don't know for certain but, if you have the same issue with PSP7, I do know my situation was only solved by upgrading.

The tragic truth is now revealed....When i do the above psp7 DOESN'T EVEN SHOW UP when i 'browse" for it . It's huddled up sucking it's thumb in Programs and Features but it won't come out and play - i guess 16 to 64 bits is too much a leap for it. now if i can navigate to a pic i want to use , I can suck it in to PSP7 and then I can stick it anywhere I'd like it to go , but that's a more cumbersome path than I wish to opt for on a regular basis.
So, how new a version of PSP must i get to send photos out into the world with relative ease ? or is there a better prgrm to choose ?
i'm old , getting rid of XP is like taking away my spectacles and dentures... I may have to give somebody a good gumming ........if i can find em., thanks trainableMan

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If PSP7 is still a 16-bit program and your OS is 64-bit, then no it cannot run in a native 64-bit environment. Programs can only run up to one step up, so if you had a 32-bit W7 OS then a 16-bit program could run but on a 64-bit machine only 32 and 64-bit programs can run natively.

You could probably get PSP7 to work in a virtual environment running Windows XP but the delay every time it opens the virtual environment and the chances of getting right-click to work smoothly from W7 to that virtual environment are slim. Your best option would be to upgrade; I waited for PSP X6 to go on sale and I was able to get my copy (regular version not ultimate) for US$30 from Newegg.

Or consider a replacement. Check out our Free Software DB for Image Editing software such as Paint.NET, Chasys Draw, PhotoFiltre, etc (but not Irfanview, that is primarily just for browsing).

Reaction score
If PSP7 is still a 16-bit program and your OS is 64-bit, then no it cannot run in a native 64-bit environment. Programs can only run up to one step up, so if you had a 32-bit W7 OS then a 16-bit program could run but on a 64-bit machine only 32 and 64-bit programs can run natively.

You could probably get PSP7 to work in a virtual environment running Windows XP but the delay every time it opens the virtual environment and the chances of getting right-click to work smoothly from W7 to that virtual environment are slim. Your best option would be to upgrade; I waited for PSP X6 to go on sale and I was able to get my copy (regular version not ultimate) for US$30 from Newegg.

Or consider a replacement. Check out our Free Software DB for Image Editing software such as Paint.NET, Chasys Draw, PhotoFiltre, etc (but not Irfanview, that is primarily just for browsing).

I bit the bullet and opted for X6 at 39 bux- and it works nicely. thanks for your help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You'll be playing for hours now with your new software. I remember going from PSP6 to PSPX was pretty drastic change in tools, but going to X6 from X wasn't so bad.

Glad you were able to find a solution that you can live with.

Ask a Question