Online Scanner Question when using 2 different browsers

Reaction score
I just ran the free Eset online scanner from my IE browser. My question is should I do a scan using the Firefox as well? I wasn't sure if by running from IE it took care of the whole computer or not. Thanks for any help. Sandie

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Online scanners are checking files already located on your computer (in memory or on the hard drive) so it does not matter which browser you use. What the online scanner does NOT do is install anything into your browser to watch for future attempts by malicious websites.

An active virus scanner should always be running in memory on your computer to watch for files from the web or inserted USB thumb drives, etc. And the better products also incorporate add-ons into your various browsers to detect dangerous scripts from running. Online scanners do not do these things and should never be your only anti-virus solution.

Also, many nasty sites offer so-called free online virus scans but are actually installing malicious programs that are in fact themselves a virus, giving you popups saying you are infected and to buy their software to have it removed etc. So be sure you use a reputable online scanner. We have several listed in our Freeware DB.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes thank you I used one of the free ones you have listed. I also am running McAfee for an anti virus. I am getting annoying pop ups all of a sudden and strange things happening which made me think some sort of malware, got in. The scanner found 14 infected files, and I assume fixed them for the one time only. As I said I always run an antivirus as well, but I guess it does'nt pick up everything. Thanks again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your best option is to download TDSSKiller and RKill (see the Virus Removal section at the bottom of the Freeware DB). Then reboot your computer into safe mode (without networking support) and run TDSSKiller, then run RKill, and then run a complete virus scan. Once it completes you can reboot.

TDSSKiller finds and eliminates rootkits, a particularly nasty form of virus that regenerate every reboot.
RKill kills active processes which could be a virus protector/hider so that then
Your Anti-virus can find malicious code w/o interference

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just to be clear, since you would be offline when in safe mode w/o networking, you must use an anti-virus program that runs from your hard drive (not an online scanner). Like your normal A/V or Malwarebytes Anti-malware which is also listed in the Freeware DB.

Ask a Question