SOLVED net user Administrator /active:yes activates account admin, not Administrator

yky

Reaction score
I want to activate the default Administrator account. After I enter the command "net user Administrator /active:yes", an administrator account named "admin", not "Administrator", appears. Since what I want is Administrator, not admin, I try to change account name from admin to Administrator. I get an error message saying the account name Administrator already exists. Where is it? I wonder.

Anyway, how do I activate the default administrator account Administrator? Thanks.

Reaction score
............an administrator account named "admin", not "Administrator", appears...............

Why not check out what that " admin" account is all about ?

The built-in administrator account has no password when initially activated.
Can you login to the "admin" account by simply click at it ?
If yes, does the system say ( paraphrasing ) " preparing the desktop ...." ?
If yes, after it is ready, any personal files in the "admin" account. ?

The above 3 indications should determine if that "admin " account is in fact the built-in Admin. Although no idea why it is called "admin " instead of Administrator.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you look in the USERS folder you will see "Admin". Admin IS actually what is used to represent the default Administrator. The name Administrator is actually just an alias.

Run Local Security Policy.
Expand Local Policies > Security Options.
Click on Accounts: Rename administrator account.
Is it currently set to Admin? If so change it to Administrator if that's what you want.

yky

Reaction score
............an administrator account named "admin", not "Administrator", appears...............

Why not check out what that " admin" account is all about ?
Thank you for the reply. Since the computer is used all the time by colleagues, I haven't had time to check.All I know is the admin account is an administrator account. I suspect the admin account has been used before. If so, the checks you mentioned might not work.

yky

Reaction score
If you look in the USERS folder you will see "Admin". Admin IS actually what is used to represent the default Administrator. The name Administrator is actually just an alias.

Run Local Security Policy.
Expand Local Policies > Security Options.
Click on Accounts: Rename administrator account.
Is it currently set to Admin? If so change it to Administrator if that's what you want.
Thank you for the reply. I'll check it out when the computer is free.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Since the computer is used all the time by colleagues, I haven't had time to check.All I know is the admin account is an administrator account. I suspect the admin account has been used before. If so, the checks you mentioned might not work.
You could, if no objections from your colleagues, remove the "admin" account and then re-activate the "Administrator" account and see what you get.

To remove the "admin" account, same procedures as to activate EXCEPT change the word "yes" to " no" in the command line.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That would just turn it off so it isn't showing but all the settings would still be there and it would still be ADMIN when he turns it back on, nothing is actually deleted. It should be as simple as the local policy change I mentioned above.

yky

Reaction score
After coming back from a trip, everything is normal. I think the computer crashed during my trip and the OS was re-installed. Now, there is no way to find out the admin/Administrator problem.

Ask a Question