need some quick help, please...

Reaction score
i am living and working in fiji, so just to let you know i don't have a lot of resources at my disposal. i have an old office system running xp, with some important files, folders and programs on it. we just purchased a new win 7 machine. for those in the know, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET ALL OF THOSE FILES, FOLDERS AND PROGRAMS OVER TO THE NEW SYSTEM, WITH THEM STILL WORKING?
i was thinking about using acronis true image home. but i am worried about it working properly since i am going from xp to win 7. any advise is greatly appreciated, as i need to complete this today. thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There's a device known as an Easy Transfer Cable, which is supposed to make upgrading from one version of Windows to another a snap.

There's one catch, your programs. You'll need the .exe files or install discs, along with any license keys, to transfer them. That probably would be better anyway, as over time, a lot of systems accumulates junk files, invalid registry keys/shortcuts, and so forth. Clean installing them would be best, for your new system's performance.

With Acronis, you can transfer your files/folders to the new OS.

Or better yet, Todo Backup (the free version) can do this at no cost to you. Check it out.

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

Best of Luck,
Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You might get lucky with some third party small programs, but I am afraid, for the majority, you will have to reinstall the programs. You will have to specify here exactly which folders anf files you mean to transfer, in order to get a meaningful answer here.
Acronis will do the job, if you are thinking of transferring a complete image but, as you realise, with different hardware on your machine, you willh ave big ongoing problems with drivers etc.
data and private material will not be a problem.
I would personally go for the "easy transfer" approach,

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d8-0663-4c26-89d0-2d00b632ebdb&displaylang=en

and keep my fingers crossed.

Ask a Question