mobo usb headers vs 5 pin connector

Reaction score
mobo usb headers vs 5 pin connetor
I just bought a card reader to go into my new rig. A rocketfish (RF-CRDRD) from bestbuy. To my surprise the plug connection is a single row of 5 pin holes. My mobo usb headers are two rows of pins; top row has 5 pins and second row has four pins. According to the product quick set up guide, it shows a picture connecting the skinny 5 pin connector into the two row usb header on the mobo and looks like it's connected to the 4 pin row. The picture is quite vague and there is no directions in the set up guide as to what way. So do I need a card reader with the correct connector or will this one work. Right now it does not work. Need some input.

Reaction score
Sorry for the false alarm. Yes it does connect and yes it does work. My dumb ass just had the connector upside down. Pin 1 was in pin 5 slot. After rechecking the pins #1 pin and a quick look at my connection, I realize that I had it backwards. It's all fixed and working. Now just waiting on GPU to come in.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's probably happened to all of us at some point, I did the very same thing with a RAM stick a few years ago. It wouldn't snap in place, after a few minutes, I seen what was wrong. Now, it's a simple task. I changed this one from 2GB to 4GB in 10 minutes.

Reaction score
Asus Internal USB Header Pinout

When connecting front case USB ports directly to the motherboard, use the diagram below to identify the correct pins for each cable.

B is the voltage line, and sometimes goes by VCC or +5.
- and + are the data transmission lines, and sometimes goes by D- and D+.
G is the ground line. The Shield cable is not used.

Please note: The 5th pin on the top row is usually not used and can be ignored in most cases.

What is important is that you do not reverse the polarity by turning the connector the wrong way. Depending on how the device was engineered, this could cause damage to the motherboard or device connected to the port.

I recently worked on a computer that had these connectors reversed. There was also a blown fuse on the motherboard probably due to the polarity being reversed. The fuse looked something like this

and was easily enough for me to replace with parts from a different motherboard I had around the house.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have seen that #5 pin used when using some USB connector cables for front panel use. Since each side of the header is one USB connection, most front panel connection plugs come with two connections on them.

The connector has a blank spot where the #5 pin would be on the second row of pins on the header. That way the connector is only able to be plugged in one way only.

I believe the 5th pin is used to prevent a reverse polarity hookup when using those connectors.

See the image below, red arrow pointing to the blank pin spot on connector:

Last edited:

Ask a Question