Lots o problems

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive been havin some problems with my OS and have been wondering for sometime about them until I found this so I guess Ill just see what yall got for me! Im new here and tried to search first before buggin anyone but couldnt really find anything. Btw Im not a real techy but know some stuff

Most recent problem has been after turning on my laptop from Hibernate mode, it will either just show the "HP" screen and not move or will just be black and then show "Operating System not found" which freaked me out. I had Vista on here but installed w7 almost a year ago. To get it to come back I hit ESC and then F10 and just saved it, didnt change anything and it boots up. Doesnt do this everytime but enough to bug me. I went into msconfig and messed with some boot up options and whatever so we will see if that helps. But I know this cant be normal lol. CC Cleaner has been somewhat helpful.

Second problem has happened awhile ago....my CD-Rom drive wont work. I cant play any CDs or DVDs at all. and EVERYTIME I run Itunes this warning screen pops up saying my drive is out....I know this. Tried to call HP tech and apparently have to pay to get help sooooo ive put it off. Any ideas on this?

One last thing...is there anyway to totally disable the Action Center scan? Itll run/scan everyday mid afternoon and slow EVERYTHING down...real annoying.

Thanks for any info guys

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Most recent problem has been after turning on my laptop from Hibernate mode, it will either just show the "HP" screen and not move or will just be black and then show "Operating System not found" which freaked me out. I had Vista on here but installed w7 almost a year ago. To get it to come back I hit ESC and then F10 and just saved it, didnt change anything and it boots up. Doesnt do this everytime but enough to bug me. I went into msconfig and messed with some boot up options and whatever so we will see if that helps. But I know this cant be normal lol. CC Cleaner has been somewhat helpful.
Sleep/Hibernation problems can often be solved by updating to the latest BIOS for your computer from the manufacturers website. Also make sure you have the latest video driver as this can cause many issues.

Second problem has happened awhile ago....my CD-Rom drive wont work. I cant play any CDs or DVDs at all. and EVERYTIME I run Itunes this warning screen pops up saying my drive is out....I know this. Tried to call HP tech and apparently have to pay to get help sooooo ive put it off. Any ideas on this?
DVD drives are easily replaced. For a desktop they can be purchased for as little as US$20, laptops 4 or 5 times that.

One last thing...is there anyway to totally disable the Action Center scan? Itll run/scan everyday mid afternoon and slow EVERYTHING down...real annoying.
I don't understand what you mean - the action center shows you notifications, mostly of problems. What is scheduled to run every day? You can go to Control Panel \ Action center to see what it says but to view scheduled items I find it easiest to type Task Scheduler into the windows start search line.

Reaction score
thatll work! its been awhile since HP has updating anything so ill go try that. and i might just get an external DVD. you think that would be better than replacing this one?

and yea i guess i meant i need to go uncheck what scans everyday so i can do it manually without slowing my whole system down. thanks for the info!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Personally I prefer mine internal, they are very easy to replace. For a desktop the hardest part is usually opening the case; then it's 2 or 4 screws, unhook the power cable and the IDE or SATA cable from from the back, slide out, reverse process with the new. Generally it is easiest to buy the same type you have, so first check for IDE or SATA before you buy, IDE has a wide 3-inch ribbon cable while SATA uses a small 1/4-inch cable. To open your case or for replacing the DVD in a laptop, check with the manufacturer.
IDE.jpg

If you had IDE but have an available SATA connection on your motherboard you can upgrade to that type but you will also need to buy the SATA interface cable and if your power supply does not have a SATA power connector available then you will need a molex to sata power adapter cable (note: in the adapter photo the molex is on the right side and sata power is on the left).
SATA.jpg

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
thatll work! its been awhile since HP has updating anything so ill go try that. and i might just get an external DVD. you think that would be better than replacing this one?

and yea i guess i meant i need to go uncheck what scans everyday so i can do it manually without slowing my whole system down. thanks for the info!
I was just advising another member, I'm not sure if the external (USB) DVD's will allow you to install (or reinstall) your Windows OS, if needed. Usually, at some point, we all need that option, and I don't know about the other discs you have to "boot", too. Such as your rescue disc for your backup program (hopefully, you have one).

I'd recommend that you repair/replace you existing DVD vs going with the USB ones. Most likely, the best thing they're good for is watching movies. I've never even had one, period, and the only way that I can see purchasing one is for movie viewing, so that I won't wear my main one out.

Cat

Ask a Question