Loosing Network Connection during Inactivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,

We are using Dell Optiplex 780 Desktops with Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit. We need to make sure the NIC power settings are not being used, and be able to ping the computer at all times.

I have done the following:
1. Changed BIOS to use S1 sleep state, and enable WOL
2. Unchecked the power saving option on the NIC itself
3. In the power settings for the PC, we have standby mode after 30 minutes.
Hard disks turn off = Never
Hybernation = Never

We still have a problem with the computer loosing its "ping" after a period of inactivity. I am trying to pinpoint if it is the same time of day or just after being in standby mode for a specific time.

I noticed that the XP boxes that I have, stay on with the same power settings. Only the Windows 7 boxes do not.

Is this something controlled by Windows 7?

Reaction score
Uninstall the drivers to the nic card and reinstall the driver. and check they are all upto date. If that dont work uninstall and delete the drivers to your modem and windows should install driver automatically.

also change the settings for the monitor so it never turns off and set screen saver to none, just to see what happens.

also check these setting through the device manager; see pic;

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
The drivers are up to date for the NIC, and see attachment for power setting of the NIC.

There is no single modem - we are a company and this is happening to all of our PC's at all locations.

Having a screen saver and putting the monitor to sleep is part of our group policy, and can't be changed right now. Technically, you wouldn't think that setting would affect the NIC...

Attachments

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
In the "Power Management" section of the thumbnail Bugsy showed you uncheck the box that states "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power."

That may help also.

Reaction score
It is unchecked per my last post. The attachment shows the settings we have on the NIC

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It is unchecked per my last post. The attachment shows the settings we have on the NIC
Gawd! I'm embarrassed now! I looked at Bugsy's attachment instead of yours.

Have you checked to see if the problem is with your router instead?

You might to going to the Start Menu, then Control Panel, then Network Connections disable the wireless network connection and wait for the hourglass to go away. Then re-enable it and see if your wireless connectivity improves.

Plus go into advanced tab under the NIC config and change "speed & duplex" to "100 Mbps full duplex" That may help too.

Reaction score
This is a desktop, so there is no Wireless connection. Like I stated in the post before, I don't think it is our router, because we have over 150 locations (We are a Retail Chain) and this is happening at all locations with different routers installed at each site.

The link speed is set to Auto Negotiation, and I will change it to the 100 Mbps full duplex and test.

Thanks for your help and will keep you posted if this does not resolve the issue.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
At a loss here so just spit-balling ideas ... What firewall software is being used? I'm wondering if it is somehow blocking pings whenever the machines are asleep.

Reaction score
You have to set it so a magic packet wakes up the machine. Then you have to actually send a magic packet.

Reaction score
HI!!!!

For this problem, you contact the Internet service provider,
After that check your ping test, through this site http://www.whoisxy.com/ping.aspx
It has the best information of IP address, IP address to domain, domain name to IP,domain name, hosting, and ping test to know the particular connection is online or not!!!!!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
This is quite an old thread, Veni. I imagine the op has solved the problem by now, as there has been no feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question