Laptop major problem.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having a major problem with my laptop. Windows 7 Dell Inspiron N4010
It won't boot up. I can sometimes get to the starting windows screen but then i see a blue screen then it flashes back to the very beginning and reboots. I'm currently on my phone and doing this. I tried everythinggg. My start up repair won't even work. It just goes to a blank screen and stays that way. Hardware info:
A13
Inspiron 4010
Intel (R) Pentium (R) CPU P6200@ 2.00GHz
2000 MHz
128 kb
512 kb
3072 kb
WDC WD5000BEVT-75AORTO-(S1)
500 gb
TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-L633C-(S2)
E-SATA : none
65 w
628 kb
3895 mb
1066 mhz
I don't know what i copies honestly. I just press f2 at startup and just copied most of what was in the "main" tab.
If you need any details, please let me know. And please help! Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's impossible to know from here with any certainty. You may have gotten a virus, your hard drive may be dying, hardware problems, etc.

Best bet is to use F8 and boot into safe mode and try a system restore back before the problems started.

But before the restore you might also want to run a virus scan from safe mode as follows:
Use another computer to Download TDSSKiller and RKill from our Freeware DB onto a flash drive. Then in safe mode, run TDSSKiller and after that run RKill and after that run a full virus scan with your antivirus software. The first two will take maybe 5 minutes each but a full virus scan can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours depending on your hard drive size and number of files.

TDSSKiller is designed specifically to look for rootkits. RKill is designed to stop the stealthing programs that hide/protect/regenerate some nasty viruses. Running these first will help ensure your A/V has the absolute best chance of cleaning up infected files.

If you can't get into safe mode either then you may have to break out the system restore disks which you should have created when the laptop was new.

Reaction score
It's impossible to know from here with any certainty. You may have gotten a virus, your hard drive may be dying, hardware problems, etc.

Best bet is to use F8 and boot into safe mode and try a system restore back before the problems started.

But before the restore you might also want to run a virus scan from safe mode as follows:
Use another computer to Download TDSSKiller and RKill from our Freeware DB onto a flash drive. Then in safe mode, run TDSSKiller and after that run RKill and after that run a full virus scan with your antivirus software. The first two will take maybe 5 minutes each but a full virus scan can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours depending on your hard drive size and number of files.

TDSSKiller is designed specifically to look for rootkits. RKill is designed to stop the stealthing programs that hide/protect/regenerate some nasty viruses. Running these first will help ensure your A/V has the absolute best chance of cleaning up infected files.

If you can't get into safe mode either then you may have to break out the system restore disks which you should have created when the laptop was new.
I don't have any other computers. Safe mode doesn't work. I don't have any disks and i don't have any restore points. I never got any disks with my laptop. So what now?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is why the manufacturers make so much money on restore disks and computer stores charge so much to look at your computer. At the very least you would need a W7 DVD to boot with and if you can't find a neighbor or relative with a computer where you could download and burn that DVD, you will need to get professional help.

If you can think of a computer you can use to burn a W7 DVD then you can find links for the W7 ISO >>HERE<<. Be sure to get the same version as you have installed.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is why the manufacturers make so much money on restore disks and computer stores charge so much to look at your computer. At the very least you would need a W7 DVD to boot with and if you can't find a neighbor or relative with a computer where you could download and burn that DVD, you will need to get professional help.

If you can think of a computer you can use to burn a W7 DVD then you can find links for the W7 ISO >>HERE<<. Be sure to get the same version as you have installed.
Wow thank you. I'll go to my cousin's house this week and use his computer. I'll report back when i'm over there. Also, does the dvd have to be a certain type? And should the dvd be spacey?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Wow thank you. I'll go to my cousin's house this week and use his computer. I'll report back when i'm over there. Also, does the dvd have to be a certain type? And should the dvd be spacey?
I wouldn't be thanking me just yet. If it is a hardware problem then the DVD won't help but unless you can boot the machine you can't tell much of anything.

You should use a brand new DVD+R or DVD-R (they hold about 4.7GB); you can use a DL (dual layer) which is what I am guessing you mean by "spacey" but the extra space would just be wasted. You will also need software that understands what an ISO file is ... Your cousin may have DVD burning software but if it wants to burn a single file with a .ISO then it is NOT correct. I recommend you install IMGBurn which can also be found in our Freeware DB; it understands an ISO is an image of potentially hundreds of files.

It is very important you know what W7 OS is on your system already. You must pick the correct bit-size and version to download from 32-bit or 64-bit and from Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate versions.

If your cousin has very low-speed internet connectivity then the ISO download could take up to 6 hours so you might ask him/her to start it before you even get there.

Reaction score
I wouldn't be thanking me just yet. If it is a hardware problem then the DVD won't help but unless you can boot the machine you can't tell much of anything.

You should use a brand new DVD+R or DVD-R (they hold about 4.7GB); you can use a DL (dual layer) which is what I am guessing you mean by "spacey" but the extra space would just be wasted. You will also need software that understands what an ISO file is ... Your cousin may have DVD burning software but if it wants to burn a single file with a .ISO then it is NOT correct. I recommend you install IMGBurn which can also be found in our Freeware DB; it understands an ISO is an image of potentially hundreds of files.

It is very important you know what W7 OS is on your system already. You must pick the correct bit-size and version to download from 32-bit or 64-bit and from Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate versions.

If your cousin has very low-speed internet connectivity then the ISO download could take up to 6 hours so you might ask him/her to start it before you even get there.
Uhm, i just dragged the iso into the dvd is that correct?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Uhm, i just dragged the iso into the dvd is that correct?
As I said, it depends on the burning software. For IMGBurn that should work because it understands what an image file is. If you use software where you end up with just a single file on the DVD then it is NOT correct.

Reaction score
As I said, it depends on the burning software. For IMGBurn that should work because it understands what an image file is. If you use software where you end up with just a single file on the DVD then it is NOT correct.
ohoki so how do i use the img burn?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you install IMGBurn it should create a file association for file types .ISO, so just find the W7 ISO file in Windows Explorer and double click on it.

It should open IMGBurn; then simply tell it to burn to DVD. If it does not have the file association, then right-click on the ISO and choose Open with ... IMGBurn.

Then just click the write DVD button

Last edited:

Ask a Question