IE9 & passwords

Reaction score
Yea, I have IE9 up and running like a little herd of wild crippled turtles. BUT - there is no way this puppy will save passwords.
I've of course, gone into Tools / Internet Options / Content / AutoComplete and made sure the Usernames on Forms is checked off as well as the one below it "Ask me before saving passwords" is also checked off.
BUT - no sir - nothing will save.

Is there another method to use to have this thing save passwords or should I hurl myself out in front of a parked transport now?

Reaction score
Hi Ripsnort

I've seen this problem before and didn't really spend anytime trying to figure out how to fix it. Instead I set IE back to default settings and the issue was resolved.

Reaction score
Good - that answer shall be sufficient Clifford. Thank you sir!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Doesn't saving passwords present a security issue?
They certainly do, that's why I always, no matter the site, choose not to save the password.

Usually, if you run CCleaner, most of your stored passwords are deleted anyway. But FF has a password manager, so CCleaner probably won't change that.

Depending on the site, password saving can be very risky. If it's saving those that's being used for transactions, I would put a stop to it ASAP. Otherwise, it places you at risk for identity theft.

Cat

Reaction score
Interesting replies indeed. Thanks! A Password Manager - is this something all would recommend and if so, which one?

Reaction score
I've never saved passwords on the computer because of security. I've never used a Manager, but I've always read that they were definitely worthwhile.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm not going to take a chance with third party password managers. If you want or need one, I'm sure there's programs available to save them to a flash drive, to use when you need them.

As for me, I keep mine the old fashioned way, written down in a tablet, with one exception. My bank account. I have a username & password that's used only on that site, it's unique enough for me to remember. In the unlikely event that I do forget it, it's on a flash drive, stored in a secret place.

Cat

Reaction score
I'm not going to take a chance with third party password managers. If you want or need one, I'm sure there's programs available to save them to a flash drive, to use when you need them.

As for me, I keep mine the old fashioned way, written down in a tablet, with one exception. My bank account. I have a username & password that's used only on that site, it's unique enough for me to remember. In the unlikely event that I do forget it, it's on a flash drive, stored in a secret place.

Cat

Sounds like me Cat.
:ridinghorse:

Reaction score
For banking and money type stuff I don't save the passwords. For the forums of which I frequent many I let FF store them.
Didn't we have some discussion months back about testing the strength of your password? There was some little app you could run.

Reaction score
Ok then, as to my question per the bestest Password Manager, and since obviously no one has a clue as to which one, permit me to suggest Norton 360. Since it's the best protection out there, one should be able to keep ones' passwords all in Google Chrome. Since Norton can protect you, let'er rip!!!

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I have no idea what you just said, but I personally would not touch Norton anything with a 10 foot pole.

Reaction score
Ok then, as to my question per the bestest Password Manager, and since obviously no one has a clue as to which one, permit me to suggest Norton 360. Since it's the best protection out there, one should be able to keep ones' passwords all in Google Chrome. Since Norton can protect you, let'er rip!!!
I have no idea what you just said, but I personally would not touch Norton anything with a 10 foot pole.
I agree with yodap, I don't fully understand the comment. There is not going to be a best password manager, everyone has their own opinions. I'm like yoda, I have bad impression with Norton.

Reaction score
Sorry about my confusing question / comment. As to the "clue" which no one was/ is following - my question was intended this way "Is there a best (better than most) Password Manager that one or more would recommend" ... Clifford, your comment probably comes closer to the truth than not.

As to Norton, I've used it since '91 .... I wish I could get a few problems with it, just to see what it's like. :)

Thanks for the replies guys.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I feel that the best password manager is a pen & a small tablet, both of which can be had for $1 or so. Keep it only where you know where it is.

To simplify things, for general use, like logging onto fourms, use the same username/password combo (an old phone number will do for the password, such as 'ph8001234567'). An old email address makes a great username.

For more important things, like banking, create a password that's used only for that purpose, a long one that you can remember, and store it on a flash drive, some of us has a dozen or more laying around anyway. Then stash it in a secret place, somewhere where it's dry & not too hot.

One good place to hide it would be to tape it to the bottom of an interior door, where there's often a gap between the door & the floor. The bottom of a dining room chair would be good, too. Be creative.

My point is, password saving doesn't have to be complicated, and it's inadvisable to trust third party programs to do it for you. 2GB flash drives can often be found for $5.00, and every password that you ever need can be contained on it. It would be best to back it up to a CD, in case the flash drive goes out on you.

Cat

Reaction score
catilley1092, thanks for the profound advice. I think for whatever reason, you're making a lot of sense!!! :)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I feel that the best password manager is a pen & a small tablet, both of which can be had for $1 or so. Keep it only where you know where it is.
:lol: Well, you've never worked any place where security is taken even halfway seriously. In some places, writing down passwords is a crime! "Physical Security" is just as important, if not more so than having a good anti-malware solution. The first place badguys, the type that break into your house or office, look is somewhere within arm's reach of your computer chair! So not only do they grab your computer, they got all your passwords too! The keys to your life. Written down on paper is the worst place and practice for password management - unless, of course, that piece of paper is kept in a fixed safe - and by "fixed" I mean the badguy has to blow open the safe or take the wall and floor with him. And that paper is NEVER left out when not needed - never left unattended.
Ripsnort said:
Is there a best (better than most) Password Manager that one or more would recommend
I highly recommend the use of a good software based password safe. With a password safe you only have to remember one (ideally, very strong) password, the one into your safe. I've been glued to a Palm PDA of some sort since the Palm III, and a happy user of SplashID Password Manager almost as long. If your phone/PDA is similarly attached, I highly recommend it. All your passwords stay with you - totally encrypted. But the best part for me is not the mobile app, it is the Windows Desktop version that comes with the package. It is an excellent safe that lets you can custom categorize passwords, kids social security #s, floor safe combination, bicycle locks, PINs, credit cards, bank accounts - whatever and however you want. Then it syncs with your phone/PDA's safe for an instant, secure backup!! A good thing.

If you don't need a PDA version, the SplashID Desktop version is excellent on it's own, though perhaps a bit pricey. Other recommended safes include, Password Safe, KeePass Password Safe, and RoboForm is a favorite of many.

Reaction score
digerati, thanks for your informative reply. I downloaded LastPass yesterday and when it was suggested I download the plugin, I was then told that it would track every website I go to etc. Why did that make me uneasy, so much so, I uninstalled it.
Is SplashID compatible with Chrome?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am not familiar with LastPass but that would make me uncomfortable too.

SplashID is independent of any browser.

Ask a Question