SOLVED IE11 "This page cant be displayed"

Reaction score
Started a couple of months ago. Random sites but some more than others. If/when I get this error I can open another instance of IE11, go to the exact same URL and it works.

AMD A8 3850, 8Gb. Was on Windows 7 Home Pro SP1, just upgraded to Windows 10 Home (free) thinking that might fix problem but no. I have Reset IE several times to default, reset router, tried turning Windows Firewall off - nothing.

I have tried adding sites to Compatibility View under Tools - same issue.

I have temporarily disabled AVG Free - same issue

Also noted (by accident by using Back button) that this error appeared occasionally : res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm

It's very frustrating as even trying to google for possible causes, or a possible solution then also becomes is a problem - google inevitably works fine but as noted above I can't get to many sites that my google search generated. Even this one failed the first couple of attempts and needed to be opened in a new, second IE11 window.

Any assist appreciated. Cheers

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Hit Alt+T to bring up the IE Tools menu.
Select Internet Options (last item in the list)
Click Security Tab
Click "Internet" Globe
Make sure "Enable Protected Mode" Box is checked (in the "security level for this zone" section)

You might also try setting up your LAN properties to use an alternate DNS server such as Google's 8.8.8.8 & backup 8.8.4.4 to see if that helps

Reaction score
Hit Alt+T to bring up the IE Tools menu.
Select Internet Options (last item in the list)
Click Security Tab
Click "Internet" Globe
Make sure "Enable Protected Mode" Box is checked (in the "security level for this zone" section)

You might also try setting up your LAN properties to use an alternate DNS server such as Google's 8.8.8.8 & backup 8.8.4.4 to see if that helps
Hi - thanks for that. Confirming that Protected Mode is/was enabled. I tried using another VDSL2 router I had (with default settings) and problem instantly fixed ..... so something had <obviously> changed in the original. Will stick with this one now .

Really appreciate the reply, thank you.

Ask a Question