SOLVED icone image wrong if a move link desktop

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I formatted and installed win seven. Slow process because I proceeded via USB so it would take a lifetime to load different screens.

I use Acronis True Image to make a image of C. The program creates shortcuts on my desktop and everything looks good.
Then I install other software utilities (ccleaner,teracopy,chrome,firefox,winrar,java,flash,vlc,7zip,........) with different icons on the desktop (22) using ninite.com. and all desktop links work correctly.

I Istall then EVGA precision to adjust the 8800GT video card fan and this link appears correctly on the desktop.
Since I have 20 shortcut icons on the desktop, I put them in a folder on my desktop.
I cut and paste the links in that folder and see that the image of the link EVGA precision image disappears giving generic application with links on white background.

I carry everything on my desktop and first all the links reappear and then disappear.
I go in all the programs start menu icon and discover that there is a generic white background icone also here. However everything works fine it is only a image icone problem. I go into the folder where EVGA precision.exe is and also there a white background image apperas. I unistall EVGA precision and now icone of true image is wrong icon but only for the links on the desktop. I take off Acronis True Image from PC and is now the icone of Glary Utilities is wrong.

Now I had already tried to repair the registry with Glary Utilities but cleaner and with no effect. I then followed guides to remove the cache file icons and it is no effect.

I have used avira antivirus so I do not think it is a virus.

But what does It happen?

Even reformatting and reinstall all I have the same problem.

SEVEN is wrong?

Thanks

Reaction score
Try installing Windows in the normal way, without the use of whatever link you have to ninite.com.

Reaction score
hi

the same problem appers on a notebook where I have not useed ninite.

Maybe is a driver problem?

It is strange, on windows xp using a previous version of evga there is not problem.

Is it a compatibility problem?

thanks

Reaction score
No, not a compatibility problem nor a driver issue.

It's something else you are doing, such as applying tweaks or whatnot.

I suggest a clean install. Then set system restore points before you do things like installations, tweaks etc...

When the problem returns, use a previous system restore point to fix the issue. Then you will also know why as well, so you can avoid whatever it is in the future.

----

For now, you could try deleting IconCache.db at C:\Users\{YOURUSERNAMEHERE}\AppData\Local

Then reboot to test.

Reaction score
thank you. I have tryed to use a image of the sistem (using ascronis true image) before the istallation of evga precision but the porblem is the same if i reistall evga precision.
I do not understand because only the program evga precision or msi afterburner do not work correctly (image iconbe problem). Other program which i have istallled work well.

I hope to find someone that try to install one of these program on windows seven to check the problem.
thanks for your help.

Reaction score
I have the latest MSI Afterburner installed and have had all previous versions of it installed. No problems.

Uninstall both of the programs you mention. Then use Ccleaner to clean the registry. Re-install and hope it fixes.

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for your advaices but I have unistall evga and msi afterburber and then I have use cleaner and glary utilities. Finally I have reistalled MSI precision and It is all ok but If I move the desktop link icone in a new folder on the desktop the link icone is wrong in this folder.

Please can you prove it?

Thanks

PP

Reaction score
You're welcome.

Delete the shortcut for it. Then navigate to the folder it installed to. Right click on the .exe file that runs it and choose Send To. Then click on Desktop (create shortcut).

Rename the shortcut to anything you want. Cut/paste it to wherever you want, from the desktop to a new location.

Reaction score
thanks but the problem is that the image of the exe is wrong it is generic white icone with application symbol and If I follow your istruction also the link is wrong.

thanks

Did This happen only to me? I have only move in a folder on desktop the program link

thanks

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Try this handy little utility app from the Windows Club and see if it fixes the problem for you. Be sure to read all the info on the page before you download and run it so you know exactly how it works.

Click on the link below.

Icon Cache Rebuilder

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Glad it worked for you!

Please mark this thread solved and you can give me a "Thanks" if you want to... :)

Click the "Thanks" button...

Ask a Question