Adding this later for clarification. This is a situation where you have the Windows Boot manager and mbr installed on a partition conating Vista. You have Windows 7 installed on another partition and now wish to recover the Vista partition. This will mean you have to change the entire boot procedure from the Vista partition to the Windows 7 partition, without destroying you Win7 installation.

There are many ways to skin this cat.This is one recommended method. (Probably quicker to reinstall Windows 7) but:::

Download VistaBootPro from |MG| VistaBootPRO 3.3.0 Download

Step I.
Start the Application. It'll redirect you to the BCD backup page. Click on browse to save a backup copy somehwre safe (NOT the windows Vista partition!) Call it something obvious (Backup)

[​IMG]

Step II.
Go to the root directory or partition, of the drive where the BCD is installed (Your Vista partition?)

In Windows Explorer make sure you have in Tools->Folder Options-> View -> "show hidden files" & Uncheck "hide protected files (See picture below)
"
Copy
i. bootmgr
ii. BOOT (folder)

Paste these into the root directory of the drive where Windows 7 is installed.

It will give an error copying 2 file's i.e BCD and BCD.log, saying they are currently being used by another application. Skip these files

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step III.
Goto the folder where you backed up the BCD earlier( in step I.)
Rename the files like this (make another backup first).

xxx.bcd -> BCD
xxx.bcd.log -> BCD.LOG
xxx.bcd.log1 -> BCD.LOG1
xxx.bcd.log2 -> BCD.LOG2

Copy all these files and paste them into the C:\Boot folder, replacing all files.

Step IV.
Reboot, and, if needed, go into the Bios and change HDD Priority from Drive D: to Drive C:.
Boot up the Windows 7 DVD
Select repair my computer.
You should then be OK

Here is another:
This is the recommended method. Probably quicker to reinstall Windos 7 but:::

Download VistaBootPro from |MG| VistaBootPRO 3.3.0 Download

Step I.
Start the Application. It'll redirect you to the BCD backup page. Click on browse to save a backup copy somehwre safe (NOT the windows Vista partition!) Call it something obvious (Backup)

[​IMG]

Step II.
Go to the root directory or partition, of the drive where the BCD is installed (Your Vista partition?)

In Windows Explorer make sure you have in Tools->Folder Options-> View -> "show hidden files" & Uncheck "hide protected files (See picture below)
"
Copy
i. bootmgr
ii. BOOT (folder)

Paste these into the root directory of the drive where Windows 7 is installed.

It will give an error copying 2 file's i.e BCD and BCD.log, saying they are currently being used by another application. Skip these files

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step III.
Goto the folder where you backed up the BCD earlier( in step I.)
Rename the files like this (make another backup first).

xxx.bcd -> BCD
xxx.bcd.log -> BCD.LOG
xxx.bcd.log1 -> BCD.LOG1
xxx.bcd.log2 -> BCD.LOG2

Copy all these files and paste them into the C:\Boot folder, replacing all files.

Step IV.
Reboot, and, if needed, go into the Bios and change HDD Priority from Drive D: to Drive C:.
You should now be OK.
Last edited: Dec 9, 2009