SOLVED help! BOOTMGR image is corrupt. the system cannot boot error.

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im new here. I joined because i need help with my computer. Its a windows 7, Dell Mini Inspiron 1012. It wont boot up anymore, just today. I keep getting the BOOTMGR image is corrupt error. It started when i tried to install a windows skin i liked. While it was doing it, it ffroze. When i start it up, i only get that black screen with that error. Pls help. Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks! I will check it out. Will it work if i save it on a usb flash or portable hard drive? My windows 7 is netbook.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
By "skin" I guess you mean a theme. One of the popular current ways to plant virus's on your computer is by way of image files. If you do get the OS up and running, I would suggest an immediate full scan with your Antivirus program.

I would stay clear of torrent downloads, they can be unpredictable. This is , possibly a better option:

http://cybernetnews.com/windows-7-recovery-disc/

Reaction score
By "skin" I guess you mean a theme. One of the popular current ways to plant virus's on your computer is by way of image files. If you do get the OS up and running, I would suggest an immediate full scan with your Antivirus program.

I would stay clear of torrent downloads, they can be unpredictable. This is , possibly a better option:

http://cybernetnews.com/windows-7-recovery-disc/
Thanks. I tried the windows recovery and saved the iso file on a usb flash drive, it wont boot up on my laptop.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Hi techkisses. Do you have a link to the skin you tried to install? If looking for skins for your PC I've never heard of people having 'nasty' problems with ones from deviantArt.

I've never heard of a BOOTMGR error after trying to apply a skin (theme) so I'm of the opinion it could be "iffy".

I assume you know you need to patch three system files for non-MS themes to work? I always use DeepXW's Universal theme patch and I've never had an issue with it.

HTH.

Reaction score
Hi Elmer, it was a skin Mac OS lion from DeviantART. It frooze during installation. Then got that boot error. It worked fine on my desktop with same windows 7 system. Id probably reinstall it. Just worried id lost my important files

Reaction score
Thanks. I hope it will work after I do the install. I need to find ways to make sure I wont lose my important files :( Thanks for all ur help here. I appreciate it. I like this group! :)

Reaction score
Hi,

Try to boot into safe mode and check if the issue exists.

To boot into safe mode, follow the below steps:

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

Click the Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.

2. Do one of the following:

• If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
• If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start in safe mode, and then press F8.

3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the safe mode option you want, and then press ENTER. For more information about options, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).

4. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.

When your computer is in safe mode, you'll see the words Safe Mode in the corners of the display. To exit safe mode, restart your computer and let Windows start normally.

Refer the below link for more details:

Start your computer in safe mode
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, it indicates that one of the services or startup items may be corrupted and maybe causing the issue.

To troubleshoot the issue, you may have to put your system in clean boot.

Check the below link for more details on clean boot:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

1. Click Start button, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

3. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, thanks for all your help. My computer is back up and running on its win7 ultimate.

It took over 24hrs but your tech tips were very useful! :) I installed LINUX on a bootable usb to access my files, then reinstall my windows 7 OS (still through USB). A fresh install is cool. I got my files saved. nothing missing!

Solved! :) Thanks all

Ask a Question