from 64 bits applications to 32 bit applications all of a sudden

Reaction score
Hello,

I have this (acer 5742Z) computer for a couple of months now and havent had a problem with it, except this morning when i started it up everything was really really slow.

i checked taskmanager and after a couple of programs stood *32. i checked on this forum what that was and it meant that my computer was suddenly running 32 bit applications on my 64 bit OS.

i have rebooted and when i contacted costumer service they told me to go back to factory settings. but that means i have to take all my important files off of my computer. can you guys think of another solution maybe? or can you tell me how this has happened? thanks

Mailig

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your 64bit OS is designed to run both 32 & 64 bit applications; that is perfectly normal. Your system, for example, has both IE-32bit and IE-64bit but because add-ins are limited for 64bit, the IE 32bit browser is the default.

If your computer is slow it could be a virus, or heavy processing, or an automatic update running, or it could even be your anti-virus software. I think you need to do a little more checking, don't assume it is because you happen to have a 32-bit app running.

I suggest you install Process Explorer and keep it in a window you can watch while you perform other tasks and see what is using your CPU when your system slows. Links to Process Explorer can be found HERE.

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me today. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite A505 64 bit and everything is running 32 bit and the computer is taking alot longer to do anything. I've run anti-virus software, nothing found. How do I go about getting everything to run 64 bit again

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Running 32 or 64 bit applications should have next to no difference in speed. If there is something suddenly slowing your system it is not because an app is 32 or 64-bit.

Ask a Question