SOLVED Folder Directory Recovery

Reaction score
Hello, first time poster

I have a Samsung Ultrabook running windows 7 with a 1TB Seagate external HDD which contains every single information and media whereas I only install programs on the laptop itself due to its low 128GB SSD. One day I decided to plug my external HDD to my tv directly through usb to watch a movie, while accessing a specified folder, the tv froze and couldn’t do anything else, so I unplug the HDD and restart the tv and no longer watched the movie. The next day I plug the external HDD to my laptop and one of the folders is showing a blank page icon with 0 bytes of data and it’s type is File and when double clicked, prompts to choose a program to open this file. All other files and folders are intact but realized they all have a file in them called “desktop.ini” and all my songs show their album art picture next to it.

Extra piece of information to know is that my external HDD is partitioned into A, B, C. and every partition has a list of folders with subfolders in them. So the folder that is showing a blank icon is in partition A and is also the partition that has the “desktop.ini” in every folder.

Now I am very sure that the files inside the blank icon folder are still there because the remaining space on that partition is still the same and a recovery software is still showing them but under a different hidden folder name with all the original sub-folder names. It is showing them under directory: A:\found.000\dir0000.chk\Original Subfolder name\, where “found.000\dir0000.chk” is the directory I don’t know. And the recovery software “Piriform Recuva” is showing them as Not Deleted, so I can’t recover them. So I think that just the folder’s directory is corrupted.

I have tried and delete IconCache from AppData – Local and restart computer thinking it was an icon issue but didn’t work.

Now the main reason I said all these is if someone can help me in recovering that folder and be able to access it as its content are important.

Thank for your help in advance and appreciate it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off desktop.ini is merely a system file Windows uses to control how that specific folder's files are shown. desktop.ini files can be deleted if desired but the system will regenerate them if it needs them.

As for found.000 that would indicate the file was likely corrupted. A single file can often take many sectors on a hard drive and if any piece of the file gets damaged the file can become unreadable; when chkdsk finds such a file it will attempt to create a link to the first sector to keep the sectors from being reused so you can attempt to recover it. So what you can do is rename the file dir0000.chk to the filename.extension you believe the file is. Then try the file and see if it opens/plays. Odds are the file is damaged and won't be useful but you may get lucky. If it does not work you will likely just have to delete it.

Reaction score
I have solved the problem by showing Hidden files and showing protected operating system files (Recommended) setting in Folder Options of Windows Explorer. and then the folder found.000 appeared. i changed its security permission to allow to take full control of the folder and renamed it back to the original folder's name and thankfully it worked. the folder is now accessible with all my original sub-folders in it with all their original files, is like nothing ever happened. once thank you for your assistance.

Ask a Question