SOLVED Explorer Navigation panel corrupted

Reaction score
My son has used Windows 7 customisation tool UX Style Core (Beta) to customise our PC. Whatever he did has changed the background colour of the Explorer Navigation Pane to black, making it unreadable. I can't correct it. Does anyone have any idea what to do to fix?

Reaction score
OK, solved now. I had run sfc /scannow command prompt, which didn't fix the problem. However, I found and renamed explorerframe.dll to explorerframe.dll.backup and ran sfc /scannow again. It immediately told me there was a system fix pending and that I should restart my PC and run scannow again. I didn't want to reboot my PC without explorerframe.dll in-case it stopped working entirely (my nerves were getting the better of me by then). So I went back and set explorerframe.dll back to its original name. I restarted my PC anyway, as scannow had told me there was a fix pending and: lo-and-behold, Explorer was fixed and back to normal.

Much relief, and my son has been banned from PC for one month. Hopefully a lesson has been well learned.

Phew!

Reaction score
Interesting story. Hopefully your son also learned the meaning of the word 'beta.'

Reaction score
Ha ha, I doubt he even noticed. Could have been worse though, as he did this in the early hours, when i was in bed, he had considered wiping PC and re-installing Windows. All's well that ends well.

Ask a Question