SOLVED Empty Windows Features List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
A lot of people using win7 have been clicking the "Turn Windows Features on or off" link in their settings and finding an empty dialog window. I know because I did a search when it happened to me. Most of the suggested solutions seem to be to run an automated repair program. However, since I only installed my OS a few hours ago I had a good idea of how I broke the system.

Open administrative tools and make sure the "Windows Modules Installer" service is running. If you went on a spree disabling services that looked unnecessary it could be what is causing a blank list for windows features.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Here are Microsoft's suggestions to this problem in case Renoc's solution doesn't work for you.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Try this link from Microsoft, it offers a couple of suggestions to fix your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712

When you try to install updates or components in Windows 7 or in Windows Vista by using the Windows Update Web site, you may receive an error message. Or, if you try to turn Windows features on or off, no features may appear in the Windows Features dialog box. This article contains two step-by-step methods that you can use to try to restore corrupted or incorrect system files and settings.

This article is intended for a beginning to intermediate computer user.
You may find it easier to follow the steps if you print this article first.

Reaction score
You da man!

If you went on a spree disabling services that looked unnecessary it could be what is causing a blank list for windows features.
You hit the nail right on the head! Although I was fairly successful (knock on wood) with everything else I did, and that was a lot, this little baby was just waiting to bite me. Hope that is all I'm going to see.

Really appreciate your 'To the point' answer which solved the issue, since so many times it gets complicated and goes nowhere or one gets 'an opinion' instead. ...like 'you must have done something wrong - so start doing things right and you won't have these problems.' ...which is about as worthless to hear as the spirit of it's writing.

Thanks a million. Peace Out

Oliver Klozov
...and that's the way I like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question