Driver for Canon ip1500 printer?

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Looks like I have to continue to maintain a duel boot XP-W7 system unless I want to buy a new printer. Anyone able to find a generic driver for this common printer?

Reaction score
Sorry folks, If read carefully, it's not a driver at all, it's a Driver add-on module! There is no Canon ip1500 driver for any version of W7. That's why I was hoping there might be a generic (universal) version around.

From the read me blurb that comes with this add-on:

"This product is a module that expands the functionality of the
printer driver for Canon Inkjet printers.
By installing this product, you can use the printer driver to
set up compensation and processing functions for image data
such as photographs"

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Add-On Module
This product is a module that expands the functionality of the printer driver for Canon Inkjet printers as included in Windows Vista and 7.
Version 1.10

Released on 23-10-2009

Compatibility:
Operating system(s):
Windows 7, Windows 7 64bit, Windows Vista 32bit, Windows Vista 64bit
Language(s):
Arabic, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish

Downloads Below are the available downloads. Depending on the file, you may be asked to enter the serial number of the product. Please have it ready for your convenience.
Software

File size
aomwin110ea23.exe
4174.33 Kb.
To me the way this reads is that the Canon Inkjet printer driver is natively installed by Windows 7... am I wrong here?

Does your printer work at all?

Give us some more info! We can't reach through cyberspace and analyze your computer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unlike say for our optical drives, no version of windows installs native drivers for (any) printers. I've got the little yellow exclamation mark in my Device Manager next to 'unknown device' and 'no driver installed for this hardware'.

How does my printer go on W7? To put it colloquially (I'm an Ozzie)it's prints as rough as guts!

Reaction score
If you install the driver add-on module, I'm guessing here it would make the printer work well. Canon wouldn't put that and then not expect the printer to work.

If it hasn't been tried, I'd give it a go. :)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I have done many installs of Windows 7 for friends and clients and on several occasions Windows 7 did install drivers for the printer. It happened only 4 or 5 times though.

Did you email or call Canon tech support?

To put it colloquially (I'm an Ozzie)it's prints as rough as guts!
So it does print, or are you just being facetious?

Have you tried installing the add-on and see if it works?

Your printer IS compatible with Windows 7; see the attached copy I got from the Canon website in PDF see the yellow highlight. I took a screen capture of the page:

Notice also that the "Windows Update" is listed. Have you tried doing that? Is your printer on when you go to the update site?

You can also try the update through the Device Manager where the Yellow Exclamation mark is and do an "Update Driver" then use the Search the Web feature.

You may have to have enabled the Microsoft Updates also, that is listed in the Windows Updates windows as I believe, "See other updates." in blue lettering below.

So you now know there is drivers out there for your printer as this page is straight from Canon.

We've done our job... the rest is up to you now! Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Nibiru, but I've seen that Canon page before from my previous (weeks of) googling around the net and for the life of me I see no 'tick' in the W7 column for the ip1500 printer, or am I missing something?

As stated at the of the top of the page image, it is a "Compatibility List". No tick in the W7 column means not compatible (tick= compatable), or has my logic completely deserted me?

I Have installed that Driver 'add-on' mentioned in the early posts 3 times just to make sure and restarted my pc 3 times too (just to make sure) and no driver has been installed and the printer is useless.

I have also tried my Driver Detective software and like all driver update apps. if there is no driver for the hardware already installed in the first place, there is nothing to update and DD doesn't even 'see' the printer. I did do a driver update in XP (oh yes, Canon had one for my XP!). I also tried the automated Canon driver update service for nil results and even emailed Canon as well ...3 weeks ago for zero reply. Thanks Canon (they obviously prefer I buy a new Canon printer ...and hell will freeze-over first!) :)

What I was hopeful about was that maybe someone else with an ip1500 with the same driver problem I'm having in W7, might have come across a 'universal' driver that works with the printer (?).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try this.

In device manager, right click on the printer. Choose properties, then go to details tab. Change the dropdown to hardware ids. Copy and paste the results to here and if there is any type of driver at all to even be found for it, I'll be back with a link for you.

x86 or x64?

Reaction score
x86

I Can only right click on 'unknown device' in device manager, as because I have no printer driver installed, W7 does not know the 'unknown device' is a 'printer' :)

So I right click on 'Unknown device' and it says what it's been saying for a few weeks now..."Oh no, not you again!"

On a more serious note: Device manager/unknown device/properties/Details/hardware Ids (nothing under any of the headings). Under 'Value tab' it says ACPI\PNP0510 and underneath that it is *PNPO510 which is probably pc speak for "Oh no, not you again!" Lol,Lol.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
What the tick means in the Windows 7 OS column is that the driver is provided by Windows 7, if not then the tick in the Windows Updates column means that it is provided through the Windows 7 Updates.

Have you left your printer on when doing the Windows 7 updates?

Have you tried calling Canon instead of doing email?

Reaction score
I'm not calling Canon from Australia (I'm on a landline).

What the tick means in the update column for my printer is that there is a driver update( for XP only ...done). If the 'update' tick meant the new driver would make my printer compatible with windows 7, there would be a W7 compatibility tick, which there isn't. I've done that update and what I've said is exactly what the state of affairs is. The update for my Canon printer does not make it W7 compatible I'm afraid, but thanks anyway for your efforts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A photographer friend of mine cannot get a W7 drive for his Epson printer that is only 4 yrs. old. The printer cost him over $2000 and he is fuming and it has forced him to go back to XP pro. after spending a motza on W7 pro (over $400 here)

It seems that to keep their Asian factories going, many printer companies haven't the slightest interest in buyer support. They want us to buy new printers ..again and again, at very regular intervals! There is no point in me contacting Canon again about my perfectly good printer, as I'm sure many, many ip1500 printer owners have already done so, including me. I will never buy another Canon printer (nor Epson either for that matter). I haven't got money draining down my leg with nowhere else to go.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I have an Epson printer that is 3 years old and there are Windows 7 drivers for it.

Of course the printer business always has been a racket, sell the printer at a low-ball price and gig ya on the cartridges. But I worked around that getting refillable cartridges and using OEM quality refill ink that meets Epson's guidelines.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
According to Microsoft your printer is W7 compatible for both 32 and 64 bit OS. Also the native W7 driver support should provide the basic printer functionality but additional functions are provided by the add-in module.

I suggest you uninstall the add-in and all your printer drivers. Then shut it off. Plug the printer directly to the W7 computer, make sure it has network connectivity, and turn it on. Once the printer driver is installed then install the add-in.

These are the Canon FAQ items regarding the printer & the add-on ...

**** following is copied from the us canon printer support docs ****

Driver and software compatibility (Windows 7)

The software supporting Windows 7 and installation instructions are shown below.
Printer Driver
Important: Your computer must have an Internet access in order to install the printer driver.
The Windows 7 printer driver for your printer is provided by Windows Update. Simply connect your printer to the computer, and then power the printer on. The driver will be installed automatically as long as there is an Internet connection.
Note: The printer driver supplied via Windows Update does not include the Effects functions (such as "VIVID Photo," "Simulate Illustration," "Monochrome Effects," etc.) that were available in previous versions of the driver. In order to enable the Effects functions, download and install the Windows 7 Add-On module from our download site.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=DownloadIndexAct
Supporting Software
Note: Depending on the printer model you are using, some application may not be supported.

• Easy-PhotoPrint EX
  • Setup Utility
  • AdobeRGB (if applicable)
Windows 7 compatible versions of these applications are available from our download site.

1. Download the file from our download page.
  2. Double-click the file from its download location, and the installation will begin automatically.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed with the installation.
The following software is not supported in Windows 7:

• Easy-PhotoPrint. Install Easy-PhotoPrint EX instead.
  • Memory Card Utility (if applicable)

Install the Add-On Module

The printer driver supplied via Windows Update does not include the Effects functions (such as "VIVID Photo," "Simulate Illustration," "Monochrome Effects," etc.) that were available in previous versions of the driver. In order to enable the Effects functions, download and install the Windows 7 Add-On module from our download site.
By installing the Add-On module, you can enjoy the functions equivalent to the ones available with the Canon printer driver.
You can check whether Canon Inkjet printer driver Add-On module is installed or not either from Control Panel, or from printer driver's setup screen. If the Effects tab is not present, you will need to download and install the Add-On module in order enable the Effects functions.
Click here for instructions to check if the Add-On module is already installed.
attention:
This Add-On module supports Windows 7 or Windows Vista only.

PROCEDURES 1. Download and save the Add-On module for Canon Inkjet printer driver (hereinafter called Add-On module) in advance.
2. Double-click the Add-On module icon from its download location, and if the User Account Control window shown below is displayed. Click Continue.
3. The Welcome window is displayed. Click Next.
4. The Printer Detection window is displayed. When multiple models are listed, select the printer you are usually using, then click Next.
NOTE: This window is not displayed when you are using Add-On module Ver. 1.10. Go to step 5.
5. The Select Your Place of Residence window is displayed. Select the place of residence, then click Next.
6. The License Agreement window is displayed. Click Yes to execute the installation.
7. The Installation Complete window is displayed. Click Finish
The end of the procedure.

You can check whether Canon Inkjet printer driver Add-On module is installed or not either from Control Panel, or from printer driver's UI.

Confirmation methodhttp://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...ilTabAct&fcategoryid=257&modelid=10236#driver

From Control Panel
1. Click [Control Panel] from Start menu.
2. Click [Uninstall a program].
3. When [Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Add-On Module V*.**] is displayed in the next window, that means that Canon Inkjet printer driver Add-On module is properly installed.

Reaction score
According to Microsoft your printer is W7 compatible for both 32 and 64 bit OS. Also the native W7 driver support should provide the basic printer functionality but additional functions are provided by the add-in module.

...MOD EDIT: the poster quoted the entire message which is overkill and redundant. It has been removed...
Sorry mate, none of that works."I suggest you uninstall the add-in and all your printer drivers. Then shut it off. Plug the printer directly to the W7 computer, make sure it has network connectivity, and turn it on. Once the printer driver is installed then install the add-in.". done it and no go.

Send me a "Canon" (only) link where it says my printer is compatible in anyway, regardless of what I do, with W7 please and I'll give you $1000. Also, the add-on module has nothing to do with driver compatibility, only driver functionality (in XP and for other printers that have XP AND W8 driver support) with certain types of printing and zilch to do with driver compatibility for W8. Sorry, but I tried your suggestions to the letter and they just do not work. But thank you very much for such a supreme effort mate !!!

Just because I've just joined this W8 tech forum. it does not make met a Tech. NOOBie, I've been building and sevicing pc's since 98se for myself and many others. It's is certainly frustrating that in some of the posts here I am being treated as such. If you know anything, please don't ignore what I have been saying and please don't 'copy and paste' useless solutions from Yahoo or similar. It's a drag.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No need to quote my entire post, that's extreme overkill.

The fact that when you go to the support and downloads page and there is an option for W7 and W7(64) is how canon says the product is compatible, when they aren't then the OS isn't listed and there is a message, "if your OS isn't listed then it's not supported at this time."

If you don't want to believe Microsoft's website and the canon download & support page then I suggest you contact canon support because there is nothing we can do to help you, your mind is already set.

Reaction score
"Success is the ability to solve an actual problem at hand" and not from a distance.

I have decided to turn my XP OS to a gaming (and printing) platform. I*'ll remove everything including all not needed services. Should be a speed demon gaming wizz!

Reaction score
I'd try updating the chipset drivers for the motherboard if they aren't already. Worst case scenario, you end up with newer drivers.

Ask a Question