drag & drop from IE8 to Word 2003 in W7

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been using drag & drop to grab text and graphics from the internet and put them into Word (or Excel) since I can remember. It works fine in XP & Vista, but it won't work in Windows7. I get a message on my Word status bar "Cannot drop at current location". My mouse icon also changes to the circle with a slash through it. If I try to drag & drop to Excel, my icon changes, but I don't get a message.

I am able to copy the material using copy & paste keystokes and / or mouse strokes.

On Vista & Windows 7, I'm running the same setup: Office Pro 2003 & Internet Explorer 8. I've checked all the options in Word & IE and they are the same on both systems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Celeste

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I use Office 2010, but I believe you problem may be the same, as it is related to IE8, not Office.
In Internet Options - tab 'security' - Custom level you can change the
setting of 'Drag and drop or copy and paste files' to either 'Disable',
'Enable' or 'Prompt'.

Choosing 'Disable' or 'Prompt' won't let you drag and drop anything,choose 'Enable' .

View attachment 1014

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Thanks, for the suggestion. but ...
I already had the IE8 security setting for drag & drop set to enable. (on Vista & W7)
I did go back & verify it.

My IE8 & Word 2003 settings are the same on Vista & W7, so I don't think that's where it can be fixed.

Any other thoughts?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hmm. Curious and baffled. Over to any members using word 2003????

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Not me. Sorry.

I just had a small question: can I drag and drop text from a webpage onto my desktop and have it put into a .txt file, as you can with Linux and Mac?

Reaction score
Not me. Sorry.

I just had a small question: can I drag and drop text from a webpage onto my desktop and have it put into a .txt file, as you can with Linux and Mac?
Unfortunately no. There may be software to allow this but natively it won't work. You can open a notepad or other editor and drag and drop into it. I use Palemoon browser and Crimson editor and I have no trouble selecting a block of text and dropping it into the editor.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I drag and drop into text documents all the time. Perhaps Celeste could take this approach to achieve her/his :)dontknow:) ultimate goal.

Welcome Celeste!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I can do the drag and drop to notepad as well. But I want it to do it automaticly and also save images as well. Do you know of any software to do it then?

Thanks,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Not that I know of FC. I would love to find one myself. That is a function that gives me 'Mac Envy'.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Not that I know of FC. I would love to find one myself. That is a function that gives me 'Mac Envy'.
It also exists in Linux... Just run andLinux and you get Linux + Windows at the same time. Though, it is a heavy software and not really worth it for a little thing like that...

www.andlinux.org

Anybody else knows about a Windows Native software to do so?

Ask a Question