Downfall Of Windows 7

Windows 7 without all the useless security

• Total voters
Reaction score
I personally think that Microsoft has gone overboard with all the security, it is becoming more apparent that this might be the downfall of Windows 7 (Another Windows ME).

It is all good and very fast, better than Vista OS, but why all the security, do we as the users really need it, all it is doing is frustrating the hell out of me.

I develop systems for clients and have not really got the time to play around trying to figure out what to set and not to set to get my programs running, thus me and all my clients still run XP Pro or 2000 Pro.

They should of had an option to Install with a the !"£$% Security, or just plain like windows 2000, or XP without the security.

If you look at all the postings on Windows 7, it all has to do with the !"£$% Security.

So who thinks Microsoft should give us a version without all the unnecessary security?

PS. Maybe we could start a petition requesting them to give us a version that is actually user friendly (That will be a first for them
)

Reaction score
Lets see if I understand this correctly

You think there is no security with XP, even when there are security updates every week within Windows Update. Furthermore there will not be a downfall with Windows 7. This poll is not worded correctly because each of the options to vote for, shows just how bias you are. If you don't like change then stay with XP or 2K. As for myself, I miss a few things too but times change and so should we.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
That's just what we need - a Windows system that's even less secure.

Reaction score
Like Clifford said XP or Even windows 2000 had enough security if it was setup right, so why now ram it down our throats with windows 7, we as the users should be able to select what security we want or not, but Microsoft thinks that all it's users are sheep that they can dictate to and we follow. Do not get me wrong I think Windows 7 is an improvement, except for the security that they have gone overboard with. I can not even do direct port IO to the speaker anymore, is Microsoft scared a virus is going to eat the computer speaker ?

I just think that the protection that they have brought in on Windows is Ludicrous, I do not have the time to sit for weeks trying to figure out like you guys why something is not working, (which worked on XP), because some nut at Microsoft decided it needed protection, and if you ask the so called "Professionals", flippen nobody has an answer, just theories that do not work.

I need to get my work out so I can get paid, not sit around like some of you, figuring out how Microsoft has screwed me over once again.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
MonsterKFX, wake up! This is 2010, not 1999! I have all three of these OS's on one laptop, and Windows 7 smokes a@@ over Win2K and XP. No one has screwed you over, you're just stuck in the past.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
The only security "alerts" I used to see were for the UAC, but it's dead simple to turn it down or off (my choice is off) and I'm a happy camper. Sure protected files may alert me when I make a change to them but I don't mind this one-in-awhile alert as it's stopped me from accidently doing the wrong thing.

In the end, no-one is strictly forcing you to use Windows 7...XP is still supported and Vista will be for even longer than XP.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The only downfall that I've been reading about lately is the one that XP is taking by the day, and may I add that ALL support for Win 2K will end this year. There's enough holes in XP to drive a bus through (I suppose that's why I got 10 XP and 8 Win 2K updates this week). You can ride on slick tires if you want, but mine are running smoothly. Where's the block to check saying "I like the security of Windows 7"? That would make your "poll" more fair to everyone.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
In view of the nonsense questions in the poll heading, and the whole nature. This poll/thread could be usefully terminated?

Last edited:
Reaction score
MonsterKFX, wake up! This is 2010, not 1999! I have all three of these OS's on one laptop, and Windows 7 smokes a@@ over Win2K and XP. No one has screwed you over, you're just stuck in the past.
It is nice to be smug when you are sitting behind your keyboard, but if you are the fundy please resolve this problem for me and I can then also embrace the future !

https://www.w7forums.com/port-io-problem-t4227.html

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Actually, no offense, but we don't visit this forum because we have nothing to do and just "sit around" all day. If you paid some attention to this forum, you'd notice that huge amounts of help is given and information exchanged without charge. People here help out of the goodness of their hearts, not because it helps pass the time that they have too much of.

Thank you for this thread, though, as it hasn't wasted my time at all.

Reaction score
Perhaps all this anger could be pointed at Microsoft instead of those that can not change things. We are here to help those in need the best we can. In the attempt to keep the forums clean, all negativity must be controlled.

If you are looking for answers, I'm sure if someone knows they will give a reply. Trying to pressure a site with negativity in all your post attacking the very nature of the forum to get a faster response will only get you banned. In other words "Don't push and no one will push back".

All these postings of negativity must come to an end. Could you imagine how trashy this forum would be if everyone did this. You speak as if everyone has had troubles just as you are having. Once again, I would like to know the figures on how many people have not had any issues.

It would seem you need to stay with XP till you can figure out the I/O port problem. I do wish you luck with this journey.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
, we as the users should be able to select what security we want or not,
You seem to be ignoring that you can pretty much dictate what security settings are implemented. Don't like UAC, then just turn it off and run with admin priviliges. Don't like the firewall, then turn it off too, just like XP. Don't like DEP, then turn that off just like XP.

I can not even do direct port IO to the speaker anymore, is Microsoft scared a virus is going to eat the computer speaker ?
You are assuming this was done for security reasons. From my understanding (just like with the sound hardware abstraction layer) this was removed for stability reasons. The HAL was the root cause of much of the instability in DOS-based Windows systems and Microsoft began removing it in Vista, and as far as I'm aware it is completely or almost completely removed from Windows 7.

It is nice to be smug when you are sitting behind your keyboard, but if you are the fundy please resolve this problem for me and I can then also embrace the future !

https://www.w7forums.com/port-io-problem-t4227.html
So you are openly hostile, post a venting rant in a Windows 7 community, and then expect to receive help to be proven wrong? That attitude won't get you very far, sorry. ;)

If you need a higher level of expert help then I'd suggest you try http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7 as many engineers and others with extensive knowledge frequent that site, including Microsoft employees.

Reaction score
Thank you Kougar you are actually the first person in 2 months of searching that has actually come up with a plausible answer and I can now work further from here.

I also apologies to everybody for venting here, hope my apology is acceptable.

BTW Kougar thanks for the link, but still waiting for a answer from there, so you actually seem to know more about this problem.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
MonsterKFX, have you tried a reinstall with your Windows 7 OS? Then you can choose to accept updates one at a time, mabye there is one that adversely affects your computer. Speaking of your computer, it may be of some help if you would go to the Control Panel on the forum, and post as much info about your computer as possible. Someone else here may have already been through the same problem as you, and can offer assistance. I realize that you're pissed, that's obvious. But to be a jerk isn't getting you anywhere, and by now, you should be seeing that. A good starting point would be to download the Windows 7 Compatibly Tool, and see what could be holding you back.

Reaction score
Thanks bud but, Kougar (Hope that is the Kougar you get in the wild, and not the one that walks on 2 legs .. If the later pics please :)), But getting back to the subject Kougar stated something that I will first have to find out exactly what Microsoft have done, apparently MS has removed completely or some of the hardware layer option in Windows Vista already. If this is true they will have to give me a alternative or windows 7 is going to be completely useless for me.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks bud but, Kougar (Hope that is the Kougar you get in the wild, and not the one that walks on 2 legs .. If the later pics please :)), But getting back to the subject Kougar stated something that I will first have to find out exactly what Microsoft have done, apparently MS has removed completely or some of the hardware layer option in Windows Vista already. If this is true they will have to give me a alternative or windows 7 is going to be completely useless for me.
Sorry, I didn't see the other posts, and your apology is accepted. I hope that you will become a more happy camper now, and you get your computer(s) going the way you want. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

Ask a Question