Do you wear glasses / contact lenses?

Reaction score
Started on PC's about 14 years ago. About 8 years ago I got prescription reading glasses which "snapped" the screen into focus.

Now I can't read the screen without glasses on. This isn't down to PC usage though. My job entails staring at things from about 8 - 12" away. That's what buggered my eyes up.

Nothing wrong with my long sight though (I can see the moon, how far do you want me to look?).

So what, I can see the stars.:D:D:D

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I can see past the Delta Quadrant and the BORG are coming! Ahhhhhhh!
I dated her! A bit the high maintenance type if you know what I mean.

I must edit my first post here and say that my bi-focal's are progressive also.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian - were you wearing soft contacts or the RGP contacts? What issues were you having?

Just curious.
Monthly soft contact lenses (Air Optix, IIRC) - they've been fine for about 4 years now, but in the 6 weeks I've not been able to wear them comfortably. It's especially noticable when I use the PC, as it's very hard to focus on text. Until recently, they were perfect - so it's confused me (and the optician!). My glasses still work great, so I'm using those for PC work now :).

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Are you getting "long in the tooth" so to speak? Where you may need reading glasses in addition to contacts?

I know when I hit 45 I started wearing bifocals.

Reaction score
Almost the weakest of glasses. +1.5/+1.75 and most of the time I don't need them unless I'm tired or the lights bad.
I've never smoked and take herbal supplements. Every time I have an eye test they Tell me not to bother coming back for at least 12months.
Both my parents needed reading glasses by 45, I'm just past 50 so pleased that something at least is still working well.

Reaction score
I'm 20/400 in each eye and wear hi-index progressives. Worn glasses since the second grade and I'm nearly 58. That's p/o the reason my user name is mr.magoo. My skin is not the greatest, so I'm fighting constantly to keep them clean. They're wire frames, so I'm considering going to plastic. I'm also considering Lasik, but my insurance only covers 25% and I don't think the VA will go for it. Never considered contacts since I don't relish the idea of poking my fingers in my eyes! Besides, they require maintenance and my whole life has become high maintenance in recent years. I also have a 9-fingered typing disability and hammering on these keyboards is becoming a real chore. Likely go to a pad soon. Just trying to deal with these computers has become onerous. More on that in another thread. :)

Any recommendations would be welcome. This age thing is just killing me! :(

Last edited:

Ask a Question