Desktop Window Manager Degraded?

Reaction score
Any ideas on why I would get these Warnings on a system that is way above all minimum requirements? :confused:

Maybe they have something to do with the timing problems of resuming from sleep mode, or perhaps a BIOS setting? :dontknow:

Warning 500: The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded.
Warning 501:

The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
Reason : CPU resources are over-utilized.
Diagnosis : A sharp degradation in Desktop Window Manager responsiveness was observed.
Yes I checked on-line help...It was no nelp! :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does this happen at any particular point in time (i.e. after resuming from sleep?). The specs listed in your profile are waaaaaaaay above the minimum, so it's a little puzzling.

Are you using the latest nVidia drivers?

Reaction score
It seems to occur within a minute or two of startup (sometimes), also when resuming from screensaver (without powering off monitor).

I have not yet reviewed my BIOS settings, could be something there.

Yes I have all of the latest drivers, to be sure I just re-installed Nvidia's latest.

I also found one unrecognized device; coprocessor but the message supplies NO info. as to what coprocessor it is referring to.

Reaction score
Ok Thanks Ian, Im going to try it right now. I'll post back when it's done.

Reaction score
Well I installed the file you linked to. There still some warnings, different ones now of course, but Performance scores did improve. So I still have digging to do.

Thank you very much Ian, I have to get some sleep but I'll post as soon as I figure out anything else.

Have a great day all!

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
It's odd, but it almost sounds like a software issue. I have only once seen such an error and it was because there was an errant program running in the background sucking up all the GDI resources.

As Ian addressed the chipset drivers, are you running the latest GPU driver directly from NVIDIA's website? Have you checked to see what programs are starting up with Windows, and that none are running in the background with unusually high CPU or RAM usage?

Reaction score
Yes I am running all current Nvidia drivers.

However I did find one service running that I do not use "NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Video Service" so I disabled it.

I'm still checking for other culprits.

Reaction score
The problem was fixed after doing all of these suggestions.

Ask a Question