Customising software/programs. Too much?

Reaction score
My recent expereince with FF got me thinking about this. In that instance it was a simple( once found) untick in a box. I don't think I'm a dummy when it comes to computers but the answer evaded me and from following up on other postings elshwhere it seemed it evaded a lot of others a well.

So do you think some software is too customisable, too many choices/options? Or just that they don't provide enough information about how a choice might affect something.

I think that on initial set-up installation of any new program it should be more 'tedious' in that it walks you through more set-up choices initially and gives more of a description of what effect your choices will have.

I think upgrades should advise you if and what settings will be changed and I think that the "help" file you get with programs should also have a summary/overview section just outlining what various selections do as well as the more complex help articles.

Maybe even something along the lines of "If you want to do this, then tick this" sort of thing.

What do others think?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I do know that when I did that latest update of Firefox it had chosen some options that I normally don't choose. I may just be a "bug", I am not sure.

I just believe that it behooves us to really go through the options once it's installed. If I had to tick all the options during install, it would take 5 minutes!

Firefox is a highly configurable browser and I like that! Besides most of time it installs things right.

I just think your situation is one of those things we call a hiccup. I'll bet you it doesn't happen every time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agreed I also like to customise things but (in the case of FF as example) I don't think it gives enough information as to cause and effect of some of the settings.
And, we hopefully only ever have to install something once so don't you think a more complete walk through on initial set up would be helpfull even if it did take a bit longer.

Reaction score
I agree with your post.
Concerning how the updates should be presented.
Would prefer that the basic install of each program be minimal.
With a section for options and a explanation of each option, including the auto- update function and running at startup.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I like being given a choice what to install in programs like Open Office and Nero and wish more programs could be that way (iTunes I'm looking at you). I also agree, that the basic program should be the default and the extras should have to be selected by you and not the other way around

Reaction score
But also a clearer explanation of how settings interact with other settings. "do this and you need to do this" sort of thing. or "enabling this will change your setting xxx".

I know sometimes they do but not always with enough information provided.

Reaction score
I agree there needs to be more information about the various options and what happens if you choose this with that and so on. I've never run into a security threat but have ticked a few things thinking it sounded good, it was not was I wanted at all.

Ask a Question