Connecting Wirelessly with an older router

akw

Reaction score
Hi
I am having a problem connecting to the internet with my router but can connect on someone else's router. I have another laptop which connects fine on my router... so don't think it is a router setting. Here are the details:

[FONT=&quot]Connecting my new laptop to my internet wirelessly. [/FONT] · [FONT=&quot]Connects with a cable[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Connects to my friend's internet wirelessly[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Another laptop I have connects fine to my internet wirelessly[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Router is a fairly old model - Telkom ADSL 5102G[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The new laptop that does Not connect wirelessly to MY internet is [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Toshiba Sattelite Pro -i3 cpu- Broadcom 802.11n[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WPA-Personal(same as PSK) with TKIP[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The laptop that Does connect wirelessly to MY internet is [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]gigabyte - i5 cpu-Realtek 802.11n PCI-E NIC [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WPA-Personal(same as PSK) with TKIP[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My Router is set to:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]802.11b+g (other sttings are just b or g) security setting WPA-PSK

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Some router settings are :-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
DHCP Server-Enabled
Con Type-PPPoE
Encapsulation-PPPoE-LLC
Get IP address-Dynamic

Tried different channels in the 2,4Ghz band.... But I really don’t know what I am doing!

Friend's router is [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]802.11n (his security encrypt is WEP)

Please help!!
[/FONT]

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
WEP security is weaker than WPA-PSK and easy to crack. He should consider setting his to a higher security level.

Of course you have to have the correct password/encryption key to match your router key but Wireless Routers also have the ability to limit connections based on mac address, this is supposed to be a unique key for each computer. It is possible your router is set up with mac addressing in which case you will need to enter the router settings and add your new computer.

The routers I have dealt with, Linksys, Belkin, even Rosewill, have wonderful phone support and can quickly walk you through the setup so you may see if that is available from your routers manufacturer (or your ISP/cable company if they supplied it). Simply say it was all working fine and now you have a new laptop and need to get it connected too.

akw

Reaction score
thanks for replying.

How would I "enter the router settings and add your new computer."

sorry, this is all newish to me

Really appreciate the help

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In my experience there is a browser interface provided and you just go to the IP address. The IP address depends on the router and can actually be changed in the router's settings themselves. Common ones are http://192.168.1.1 (<- you can actually try clicking here and it may bring up yours) or 192.168.0.1

You can read more HERE

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Hmmm, according to this User Manual your router is Wireless-G not Wireless-N and it offers WEP and WPA, Not WPA-PSK (also known as WPA2).

Also the IP address of the router should be http://10.0.0.2 with username: admin and password: admin

If you can set the new laptop to use WPA encryption you may be OK or you will have to use the old WEP. WEP is much less secure and easily hacked in a matter of minutes but if you live in a remote area and your only neighbors are sheep then it may not be that important; or you may want to invest in a relatively inexpensive Wireless-N router (we can get slower models for about $25 US and we pay $60-120US for dual-band with the higher money being for 300MB/s)

Last edited:

Ask a Question