SOLVED Computer won't restart: "Root cause found: Boot critical file D:\CI.dll is corrupt."

Reaction score
Yeah, they worked for me too, must've been something on my end.

Both RKill and MalwareBytes didn't find anything! YAAY!!

Well, all I can do now is hope it haven't hidden itself so good it won't be detected!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You should also scan all external drives including USB thumb/pen drives and any CD/DVDs burned during the time you were infected. Glad you got it worked out.

Reaction score
OKAY, im having the same problem and ive tryed doing a system restor but it dosnt work or anything wont work i have norton on my computer but i cant even get into it everytime i turn it on or try and do safe mode it goes to that screen can anyone help me please! the computer is brand new ive only used it like 50 times in the last 7 months i have had it

Reaction score
nothing works and i dont have any cd nothing to reboot it from that or anything like that. if i try doing anything on start up repair it wont fix it... any suggestions on how i canfix it then

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have Windows 7 disk(s) or did it come preinstalled w/o disks? If it came with any disk then try popping that in and boot from it.

If you go to a friend's machine that has the same version (home premium, professional, etc) and bit-size (32 or 64) of W7 on it then you can create a System Repair Disk on their machine. (All this disk does is check for corrupt system files and fix them.) Again you boot to this disk and let it run system repair.

It is quite possible you have been attacked by malware in which case it is often very hard to deal with and sometimes the best option is a complete reinstall but again you need a W7 DVD or a back-up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Testing if it works.

Basically I have been fighting this for a while now, I got the rootkit virus, etc etc.

System restore disks are apparantly corrupted, so don't bother with that. Im curious if you guys are running off a gateway dx computer as i am or not.

Also, if this kaspersky thing fixes it, then good, but if i don't post in a few hours, you will know deleting it has again caused a crash. The corrupt file is d:\ci.dll

I deleted it before using malwarebytes, then had to do a complete system wipe. Deleting is probably not safe. I am taking it back to futureshop tech support because they are going to reinstall a different version of windows 7, since the version i am getting from my system restore disks is corrupt, and the corrupt file is also the system restore partition btw.

Wish me luck!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The problem with these annoying viruses is that they protect themselves. It isn't usually one file it is often 4 or 5 and they are loaded as services and startup programs and they protect and hide each other. That is why you need a program like RKill or the like to shut down the programs and then BEFORE rebooting you use malwarebytes and kaspersky and any of the other well-known cleaners to remove them. Then you reboot and you run them all again.

I happen to have a Gateway but not the same as yours. Just FYI you can burn the Microsoft ISO for your version of Windows 7 on a friends uninfected machine and then with your license you can do a fresh install from that. Realize that this is NOT the same version as is installed on your machine; Gateway adds their own extras which, if you need them, would have to be gotten from Gateway or replaced with alternate software.

The creators of these viruses are evil evil people that should have a bungie cord tied to their family jewels and then pushed off the tallest bridge that can be found. :mad:

Last edited:

Ask a Question