chkdsk does not run when scheduled

• Thread starter Roland Schweiger
  • Start date
R

Roland Schweiger

With my Win7 64-bit (ultimate) version, i have an issue concearning chkdsk.
When i schedule to run chkdsk /f (which will then tell me that it will run
on next boot up),
it simply refuses to run.

I have checked the issue with the registry as proposed on some pages

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

and the key BootExecute is properly set to autocheck autochk * Isdelete

This cannot be the reason.

However after trying several times, chkdsk did run once and then 2 weeks
later i tried it again and run into the same problem, difficult to reproduce
the exact situation
but does anyone have the same issue and know what to do about it?

greetings

Roland Schweiger

Reaction score
I have the same problem with scheduled chkdsk on Windows 7 virgin system. Nothing extra has been installed. I am running on HP DV7-2277cl computer.
When it did finally run, it found 75 bad sectors on the hard drive, many (or all) of them occupied by parts of the operating system.

I used the Recovery partition to re-install the operating system and tried to run chkdsk again using Properties, Tools, to schedule a full disk scan. It either reboots and ignores the scheduled chkdsk or notifies me of the scheduled check and counts down to one (1), then stalls forever. When it did finally run chkdsk again, it stalled part way through, about 64 percent one time and 75 percent another time with errors. I finally just returned the computer to the store because I felt I could not trust it. I traded it for another identical computer thinking that perhaps it was a problem with that particular computer. However, Roland's post has me thinking this is a Microsoft Windows 7 issue. The new computer is experiencing the same problem of not being able to run chkdsk, just counting down, then stalling with count-down screen displaying "1 second", or refusing to acknowledge the scheduled chkdsk run at all.

I am about to return this computer, too. I will be wanting a refund this time if a solution is not found soon.

Reaction score
More info. This is on the OS volume, since chkdsk runs immediately when run against Recovery Partition. Chkdsk appears not to run against 209MB System partition, which only appears in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. System partition is labeled as the Active partition and the system partition, while OS partition is labeled as Boot, Pagefile, Crashdump and obviously also appears to contain the running Windows7 operating system, Windows 7 Home Premium.

The disk drive(s) is/are Western Digital 2.5" 7200rpm (Scorpio Black). Running Western Digital's Diag504f.exe program is useless because it does not recognize any Western Digital drives and therefore refuses to perform ANY diagnostics.

This computer has NOT been connected to the internet, therefore, foreign viruses are not very likely. There is discussion of chkdsk problems reported during beta-testing on Neowin.net, http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/08/05/windows-7-rtm-contains-a-rather-nasty-chkdsk-bug

Ask a Question