Check Disk Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My computer has run chkdsk /f since I got it a few months ago w/o a problem, but starting just about a week ago, whenever I attempt to run it, I get this message during reboot:
Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package. Use system restor to bring it to a time before the software.
An unspecified error occured (766f6c756d652e63 3f1).
Then it simply takes me back into Windows. Any ideas what might be causing the problem? Any ideas how to fix it?

The weird thing is, I haven't installed any software programs recently and chkdsk worked fine up until just a few days ago. Perhaps it was a system or software update?

Thanks for your help!

--David
Win 7 Pro - 64 bit

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Hopefully you have resolved this by now but I'll throw an idea out there anyway ...

How about automatic updates, such as the Windows update Service Pack 1? If you have automatic updates then things do get installed even if "you" didn't do it.

If you go to Control Panel \ Programs and Features ... View Installed Updates. Anything there near the time? You might also try System Backup and Restore and restore your system to a time prior to the error.

Reaction score
Any one with answer for Black Screen on Windows 8.1 . "Do not have access to desktop" This is on Dell Latitude E5500
I have done system current restore which does not fully complete because I get an error message saying the restoration was not fully restored even though I turned off the virus software on the system before this process.

Thanks

Reaction score
My computer has run chkdsk /f since I got it a few months ago w/o a problem, but starting just about a week ago, whenever I attempt to run it, I get this message during reboot:
Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package. Use system restor to bring it to a time before the software.
An unspecified error occured (766f6c756d652e63 3f1).

Then it simply takes me back into Windows. Any ideas what might be causing the problem? Any ideas how to fix it?

The weird thing is, I haven't installed any software programs recently and chkdsk worked fine up until just a few days ago. Perhaps it was a system or software update?

Thanks for your help!

--David
Win 7 Pro - 64 bit

Thanks David: I perform Chkdsk, There was no error. It out fine. I think the problem might be the taskbar/ Navigation under personalization. This link
is completely locked and I can not unlock this link. I have tried over and over.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Owen, this is a Windows 7 forum. I suggest you join our sister site, Win8forums, create you own thread, and include the DMP files from your BSOD.

chkdsk simply looks for physical problems with the hard drive sectors; BSODs are usually caused by bad drivers so chkdsk is unlikely to help.

This thread is 3 years old so I have closed it.

Reactions: Ian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question