SOLVED can't get Soundmax driver to 'stick'

Reaction score
Hello,

I had no sound on my clean win7 64bit install. The soundcard is intergrated to the motherboard (Asus P5uDC-x). This is fixed by downloading and running the Vista 64bit driver from Asus website (N_Vista32_64_v6.10.01.6070_WHQL). I think there are several drivers for the motherboard, but everything else seems to work so I've only looked at the audio details. The driver is a setup file and after a re-boot works fine, but dissapears on the next reboot and needs installing again, then the default sound device being disabled and enable the correct one. How can I make it stick?!

very frustrating - many thanks for any help :)

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Just as a temporary test you could try disabling system file checker (sfc) and reboot to see if the changes stay after an install. Windows might not recognize it as an allowable change, therefore your defaults are then set again.

It might be feeling hesitant to accept the changes you're trying to apply to the system.

Reaction score
can't get Soundmax driver to 'stick' - SOLVED

thanks for your help - sorry it is P5VDC-X, not 'u', can't read my own writing!.

also now resolved, I went to sys to see what can be disabled and notice that it was set to selective startup, with original boot configeration each time. Now ticked to load all drivers and services. Suprised this was the default as this is a clean instal.

thanks for the promt to see sys or I'd never have thought Windows was deilberatly not loading the driver!

Ask a Question