BSOD or Freeze w/artifacts while gaming

Reaction score
Any other info I should include? Temps are fine everywhere, GPU is never over 55*C. It is at 99% load according to GPU-Z. I deal w/ground herbs and there is dust, but it's not significant IMO and I was under the impression dust issues carried temp issues. Driver is up to date on the GPU...

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Any other info I should include? Temps are fine everywhere, GPU is never over 55*C. It is at 99% load according to GPU-Z. I deal w/ground herbs and there is dust, but it's not significant IMO and I was under the impression dust issues carried temp issues. Driver is up to date on the GPU...

Typically caused by a bad block in the paging file or disk controller error.

I would run chkdsk to start.

A- CHKDSK /R /F:
Run CHKDSK /R /F from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt.

Do this for each hard drive on your system.

When it tells you it can't do it right now - and asks you if you'd like to do it at the next reboot - answer Y (for Yes) and press Enter.

Then reboot and let the test run.

It may take a while for it to run, but keep an occasional eye on it to see if it generates any errors.

See "CHKDSK LogFile" below in order to check the results of the test.

B- Elevated Command Prompt:

Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)

At the top of the Search Box, right click on Cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"

C-CHKDSK LogFile:

Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter

Expand the Windows logs heading, then select the Application log file entry.

Double click on the Source column header.

Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry (wininit for Win7) (winlogon for XP).

Copy/paste the results into your next post.

Reaction score
Here's the primary drive that w7 and the game in question is on

Thanks for the response! So it's not the vid card then?

This is the drive where w7 & the game in question are located. Can do the HDD if relevant.

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
99072 file records processed. File verification completed.
728 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 60 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
135906 index entries processed. Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
99072 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 263 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 263 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 263 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
18418 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
33724480 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
99056 files processed. File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
7535062 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

117115903 KB total disk space.
86720164 KB in 79206 files.
53200 KB in 18419 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
202287 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
30140252 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
29278975 total allocation units on disk.
7535063 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 83 01 00 65 7d 01 00 66 db 02 00 00 00 00 00 ....e}..f.......
1c 01 00 00 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....<...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Nothing points to the GPU yet.

The Chkdsk is clean.

If you have more Crashes upload the DMP files

Reaction score
Will do. Thanks for the help! Sometimes the freeze comes w/out BSOD and it's just checkerboard artifacts.

Reaction score
No dmp file. No BSOD. The screen goes checkerboard w/artifacts and is unresponsive, forcing a reboot. If there's a log file generated when that happens that you'd like to see let me know the name. I appreciate the help once again.

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
No dmp file. No BSOD. The screen goes checkerboard w/artifacts and is unresponsive, forcing a reboot. If there's a log file generated when that happens that you'd like to see let me know the name. I appreciate the help once again.
My pleasure.

You can also check in event viewer to see if there are any errors logged there.

To check for freezing/crashing you need to check several things.

1-Event viewer.

Type eventvwr in search and go to the windows log>application tab.
Look for errors. Errors have red in the left hand column.

Look for errors that say app hang, or app crash, or anything related to YOUR problem.

When you find them either take a screenshot of them and upload them to us, or note the event ID and source codes and look them up in google. If you cant find them in google tell us what they are.

Reaction score
All I'm finding from last night is a WMI event id 10:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Don't think that's related. Sigh, I'll keep checking logs and loading dmps as they come.

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
All I'm finding from last night is a WMI event id 10:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Don't think that's related. Sigh, I'll keep checking logs and loading dmps as they come.

This problem occurs if the WMI filter is accessed without sufficient permission. To resolve this problem, run a script to stop the Event ID 10 messages. Here is a knowledgebase article with details on how to do that:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950375.

Reaction score
K, got an artifact freeze again and ran the script. We'll see if the problems persist. Thanks zag.

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Alright so got a freeze w/artifacts again and no errors in the app log. RMA the vid card?
Could be but if you boot into safe mode it will use the built in chipset and if it doesnt artifact then it is more certain.

Ask a Question