bootrec /scanos found no OS

yky

Reaction score
Suddenly, I cannot boot into Windows 7 Ultimate. Repair disc could not repair the problem. I switched to the command prompt and issued "bootrec /scanos". It found 0 OS installed even though the Windows directory was still there.

I have tried bootrec with all options and "bootsect /nty60 SYS /mbr". Though execution of commands are successful, the problem is still there - cannot boot.

Anything else I can try? Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I suggest you boot to a W7 Installation DVD. If you do not have one, then you can use a working computer to download the W7 Ultimate ISO and burn it to a blank DVD.

Once you Boot to the Installation DVD, Choose Install and if it detects an OS then there will be an option in the lower left called "system repair". Try system repair if it is available.

If system repair is not available then continue with the install up to the point it asks you where to install, this is just to see if your hard drive is even recognized because there is the possibility it has crashed.

If it is recognized it may still be going bad and need replaced. Did you get any notices on boot from Smartdrv? Smartdrv warnings generally mean your drive is failing and needed replaced.