Blank D V D's

Reaction score
It has been some time since I bought any blank D V D's, and there appears to be more brands than ever on the market. Any suggestions would be gratefully received for a decent brand, say ten to a dozen of blank DVD -R:)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi andsome I have always stuck with TDK for CDs and DVDs ... yep there are many on the market and some very low priced but I know what I'm getting with TDK they have never let me down :)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I've been a long time user of Verbatem for CD & DVD but have found the Staples brand is just as reliable(I'm not sure you can get these where you are)

Reaction score
I have been buying Memorex for a decade. I don't recall ever getting a dud.

Reaction score
I buy mine from Computer markets. Huge savings which offsets any duds I might get although so far all have been fine anyway.
I recall reading somewhere that there are more brand names then actual different 'brands' of optical disks and many different names actually come from the same manufacturer.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are rated amongst the best there is.

Memorex are very good also.

A lot of good DVD discs are made by CMC Magnetics:

CMC produces a full range of CD and DVD storage media products, including: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM, Floppy Diskettes, Media Packaging. CMC media is sold by HP, Imation, Memorex, Philips, TDK, Verbatim, Staples, Office Depot brand and many OEM brands. Mr. Data is CMC's own brand. They have CD-R factories in Taiwan, China (Memorex, HP, Philips, TDK) and Hong Kong (Memorex, Philips).

Reaction score
Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are rated amongst the best there is.

Memorex are very good also.

A lot of good DVD discs are made by CMC Magnetics:

CMC produces a full range of CD and DVD storage media products, including: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM, Floppy Diskettes, Media Packaging. CMC media is sold by HP, Imation, Memorex, Philips, TDK, Verbatim, Staples, Office Depot brand and many OEM brands. Mr. Data is CMC's own brand. They have CD-R factories in Taiwan, China (Memorex, HP, Philips, TDK) and Hong Kong (Memorex, Philips).
Many thanks to everyone. I will have a look at availability of the brands mentioned. I have used Verbaitim until now, and have had no problems. I will check the deals on line and compare with a couple of local shops, bearing in mind postal charges. I prefer to buy locally if possible.:)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
All of the above brands plus Sony are good choices. When backing up or creating recovery discs, the non-rewritable ones are better. Why? I don't know. I do know that when I created my recovery discs, it wouldn't allow me to use a rewritable one. Backup was the same way. What you're using them for needs to be considered, too.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
It's wierd, I've had more issues with Sony media than any other brands. But it's been a few years since I last tried them, maybe now I will.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
One note: Taiyo Yuden are now branded as JVC DVD discs. Still made by Taiyo Yuden, just being sold under the JVC name.

Taiyo Yuden has been in the CD/DVD business since their inception and their products are bar-none.

One brand I have discovered which makes good top quality DVDs is FALCON.

Reaction score
I have just joined an on line DVD hire firm. DVDs at £1.99 with free postage. Keep them as long as you like then post back in the supplied envelope. I will be needing more discs now for copying.:)

Reaction score
A local shop is selling PLEOMAX at £5.50 for 25. They are made by Samsung, so I bought these as I am pleased with my Samsung mobile phone.:)

Reaction score
Hello,
Have a question.
What software do you use for copying?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
CDBurnerXP is good software, I was using it for all of my disc writing needs until Nibiru introduced me to ImgBurn. See, when this desktop was bought in November, it came with Power2Go software, I used that until I started using ImgBurn. At the time, I had almost forgotten about anything related to XP. But I did use CDBurnerXP with XP Pro for over a year. It's as good as any.

Reaction score
A local shop is selling PLEOMAX at £5.50 for 25. They are made by Samsung, so I bought these as I am pleased with my Samsung mobile phone.:)
Nero 9, together with DVD Shrink to decript.

Reaction score
Appreciate the information.
Have used several different programs over the past couple of years.
Forgot about ImgBurn, Thank you for the reminder.
Lately I use the following three free programs.
DVDFab HD Decrypter (free edtion).
DVD Shrink (free).
Final Burner (free edtion).
Have a Nero disc, never used the program.

Reaction score
Memorex, Sony, HP To tell you the truth I`ve never had a problem with any brand. Just make sure your DVD drive can read , write and record to them. -R +R etc.

Nero8 or 9 works great so does DVD Fab 6

Ask a Question