Anyone tried out Namoroka x64 (FF x64)?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've not really used 64 bit browsers much (IE a few times), but this one, Namoroka, looks good. My bookmarks from FF 4 are here, so are my addons. So far, it's not bad.

Is there any issues (or pitfalls) that I need to know about in adapting to a 64 bit browser, besides the Flash app? There is, and has been, a beta 64 bit Flash player, and 64 bit Java as well.

Any other FF users checked this out yet?

http://www.windows7download.com/win7-firefox-64bit-x64/tafschzm.html

Cat

Reaction score
There is a flash player for 64 bit browsers. Just search for Adobe Square. I blieve Mozilla itself has a 64 bit version of Firefox 4 available now. Go to www.askvg.com and search for Firefox 4 x64. I haven't personally tried it, but AskVG had an article on it between last Thursday and this Tuesday. I have used Adobe Square in both IE 8 x64 & IE9 x64 without any isses.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I installed that this afternoon, actually I already had it on a flash drive from a few months back. So far, it's not doing badly, but I've gotten used to the FF 4.0 look & feel, and a rollback to 3.6 is taking an adjustment.

It would be good to find a 4.0 version in 64 bit that's stable. I found an early beta, see here:

http://thetechjournal.com/internet/firefox-4-0-beta-with-64-bit-support-available-now.xhtml

But that's not advisable for daily use yet. Or it could be, for forum & web viewing, but I wouldn't want to shop or pay bills using it. That's too risky with a beta.

Hopefully, the browsers will be able to break away from Flash by year's end, I thought that's what the new standard is all about, breaking away from the old, and moving in the new. Developers needs to break away from the older OS's, and go with the newer ones. After all, MS themselves decided not to allow IE9 & some recent Windows Live packages on any OS below Vista.

I have a gut feeling that we won't see significant change until after April 2014, then the changes will come pouring in.

Cat

Reaction score
Actually Cat, they do have the 4.0 version of it. It's one of the Nightly builds. Just open FF and search for Firefox 4 x64. Click the first link. The 3.6 is at the top of the list. You need to scroll down a ways for the 4.0 version. Here's the link and look at the screenshot.http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Firefox:Download . It says pre because it's still a pre-beta. I tried it and uninstalled it. Too many of my addons won't work with it. For example if you use SiteAdvisor, BetterPrivacy or Click&Clean they don't work and automatically get disabled. It's just like IE9. One download installs both x86 & x64 Nightly Build versions. Which apparently get updated daily. If you try it and don't like. Uninstall it and it still leaves the other FF 4 version with your addons. Just make sure you don't check any of the boxes for removing data. If you do that your addons and settings are history.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just FYI: Unless your anti-virus is 64-bit then it isn't really safe to use any 64-bit browser nor is it safe to use browsers your AV doesn't support, as it cannot block malicious scripts and prevent bad things.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
My AV (NOD32) is the 64 bit one. Whenever you have a choice, provided you have a 64 bit OS, you should install the 64 bit version. ESET offers both versions.

Some may install the proper one automatically. To verify, go to Program Files, if it's in the x86 folder, then it's the 32 bit version. If not, it should be 64 bit. Note that I stated "should".

Usually, the file path is an indicator, too.

As far as these nightly builds go, I don't want to mess with them. I want the few addons that I do have to work.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
MSE 2.0 is OK to use, but I highly advise to use an online scanner (either ESET or F-Secure) once monthly, just to check behind it.

Plus have a standalone scanner such as MBAM to run once every other week or so.

For now, I'm using the Namoroka 3.6.3, x64 as an alternative browser. I've done a little reading, the future for 64 bit browsers is looking promising. There's clearly more that needs doing, Hopefully, with the newer technologies, 64 bit browsers of the future will be less dependent on Flash, which has been the holdback for the 64 bit browsers that we already have.

Cat

Reaction score
Cat, I use those also. I've used Eset's. Panda's, Sophos's and Microsoft's Safety Scanner. I'm eventually going to go back to Norton. It's just going to be a few month's. I've got a few more parts I want to get out of the way first. Then, I'll get NIS 2011 from Newegg or Amazon, as both are cheaper than getting it directly from Symantec's site.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Norton's no longer a RAM hog?

The last 2 computers that I bought had Norton preinstalled, I tried it out for a couple of days on my desktop once after a reinstall, didn't like it, and got rid of it.

Used MSE (the original version), then MSE 2, Avast Free (for a couple of weeks), then ESET. If I can't get a deal with ESET before it expires (2/2012), then I'll go with Avast Pro. I'll be on the lookout for promos for ESET about 3 months before mine expires, hopefully I'll find one.

Let us know how Norton goes.

Cat

Reaction score
I've used NIS2010,2011 and 2012 beta. 2011 came out about 3 weeks before my subscription ended and I'm not going to give Symantec $79.95, when you can get it from Newegg or amazon for $49.95-59.95. I was using NIS 2012 beta a few weeks ago, but a few of the components I like are buggy in the beta. The PowerEraser for the beta pretty much doesn't fully work in the beta. It reboots your pc like it's supposed to and scans for anything NIS may have missed. It also has the ability to send whatever it finds to Symantec for instant verification. That's the part of it that doesn't work correctly in the beta. They came out with that in the 2011 version and it works great in non-beta versions. After I get more ram next month and a Radeon HD6950 in June. I'll being going back to NIS in July.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Newegg is the best place to buy your AV/IS suites, especially the top brands. Amazon offers good deals too.

$49.95-$59.95 sounds a bit high to me, but then again, I've only purchased an AV once. Check out those deals for Newegg close, you may luck out on a deal.

I've ran Namoroka 64 bit a little more, it's really not that bad of a browser. It could stand to be up to date, but I guess with a 64 bit browser, when it's yet to be the norm, it's probably as good as can be expected.

Cat

Reaction score
I've been using Mozilla's x64 browser for a year or so now. Currently the Nightly shows version 6.01a.

Sam

Reaction score
Here's a link about the WebGL vulnerability.http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...d_chrome_users_at_risk.html#tk.nl_bax_h_crawl . If I'm not mistaken WebGL is grahics card intensive and is Chrome's & Firefox's version of HTML5. I may be mistake on the HTML5 part, but I do know that WebGL is integrated/add-in graphics card based. Another word's IE 9, Chrom 10+ and Firefox 4.0* now all use your pc's graphics, whether it be on-board or discrete for faster browser rendering.

Ask a Question