Any Windows 3.1 users here?

Reaction score
I know this might be in vain, but does anybody here know a person who uses Windows 3.1?

I still use it to this day. Right now, I'm posting this thread in Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 in Windows for Workgroups 3.11, which is running on MS-DOS 6.0.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Thank you for this. You have no idea how much I needed this!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
:dontknow:

Or perhaps it was the "Windows 3.11 Ultimate (128-Bit)" with "DOS Mode Virtualization" for greater backward compatibility. :)
Most probably. I think it might even have 2.56bit drive encryption!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I had a 3.1 disc, but couldn't get it to boot, even in VirtualBox. The same with a 3.11. It's a waste of time for me, I want a product to work "out of the box".

That's why I'm getting a Win 95 OS, for less than $10. The folks at VirtualBox has assured me that 95 will boot through it.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I thought that I was going to get all of these legacy OS's from TechNet, but all that I can get are XP & up. The OS (Win 95) is for $5.99 on Amazon, with a $3.99 shipping charge. $10 isn't bad for an OS, I just want it to run in VirtualBox. Win 98 still costs too much (full version-$50).

Cat

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I had a 3.1 disc, but couldn't get it to boot, even in VirtualBox. The same with a 3.11. It's a waste of time for me, I want a product to work "out of the box".
Windows 3.x disks don't boot. They're installed on top of an existing DOS installation. Windows didn't have the ability to boot a computer until Windows 95.

Reaction score
Seriously, what are you going to do with a copy of Windows 95? I was thinking that money was tight this time of year.

I've not used a copy of Windows 95 in 12 years.
There's actually a lot you can still get done in Windows 95. First off, you can do your typing and things in Office '97 (Which you can still get a lot done in), and you can browse the Internet very well in Opera (The latest versions of Opera work in Windows 95). That was always something that amused me: the fact that Windows 95 can run more modern web browsers than Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Apple's OS from 2003!).

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
How do you update the system? I know that updates has to be done through IE, and even IE5 in Win 2K has to be updated to IE6 to check for updates.

I know how to do this with 2K, does IE6 install in Win 95? If I can't get what updates that were available at the time, I don't want to mess with it. That's why I let the last two 95 OS's go by, I want an OS that's at least semi-secure. My modem is firewalled, but I'm concerned about security here.

So far, ever since I've had it, I've never had any kind of virus in 2K, and I've ran it since early 2000, and have been to the seediest corners of the net with it. Mabye it's pure luck, if it is, I hope to keep riding it.

Let me know about the updating procedure, then I'll determine what to do. Thanks.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
How do you update the system? I know that updates has to be done through IE, and even IE5 in Win 2K has to be updated to IE6 to check for updates.
What updates? It is an unsupported product.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Win 2K is an unsupported product, but I can still update it, at least to where the support ended. All that I need to do is update IE5 to IE6, by typing "ie6 setup", there's a couple of links that leads to the update procedure. You download a 500KB file, then you click onto it, and Windows Update takes over, upgrading your browser.

In fact, I got an update within the last month or so on 2K, it was a security update for 2K/2003/XP, a critical one.

The latest editions of FF, including the beta, runs on it, and there's plenty of AV support for it, as well as MBAM & SAS.

Not counting the one installed on my notebook, I have 2K installed in VM's on every OS that I have, about 5 total installs, one of which was done last week.

As to whether I can do the same with Win 95, I don't know. But I do know that you need a minimum of IE6 to use Windows Update (in older OS's). You don't even need IE to update Win 7.

Cat

Reaction score
Windows 95 and older are different with updates. There is no Windows Update for them.

However, Windows NT4, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Windows 7 have Windows Update services.

Ask a Question