another "wont shut down/restart" thread

Reaction score
morning guys,
been following this forum since a while and decided to join since my problems wont go away,despite me ignoring it very persistently...

restarts/shutdowns take at least 20 minutes now and they never used to do that.

"shutting down programs" - takes aprox 2-3 seconds , then its "shutting down" and then that's it.it stays on that for at least 20 minutes before shutting finally down or rebooting.
i have been browsing this and other forums for that topic and i know, some people have found solutions for themselves, but that's sadly didn't work for me:

1) some people report to have fixed it after disabling/updating a certain audio driver and that audio-driver i don't have and no problems otherwise with my sound.
2) some people report to have fixed it by disabling Nvidia Control Panel or related applications. I tried that and it didn't work and now have another graphics card,which doesn't use the Nvidia Control Panel and my problem is still there.
3) other people found, that it happens because their windows is an upgraded one from an older version; mine is a clean install.

now here is the curious thing.
i have formatted my drives maybe 3,4 times by now since i'm using windows 7. after a format and fresh install everything works just fine. until maybe 3,4 weeks later it happens again out of the blue and it wont stop doing it so far until next format.

and i seriously don't want to format every 2 months....
anyone here to help?

• ASRock M3A UCC Motherboard
  • HexaCore AMD Phenom II X6 Black Edition 1090T
  • Asus HD6670 Graphics
  • 12 GB Memory
  • ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI Juniper/Broadway - High Definition Audio Controller
  • VIA VT1705 @ ATI SB600 - High Definition Audio Controller
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What software odds and ends have you got showing in the Msconfig - Startup tab.

Reaction score
im sorry for the late reply.
due to another issue i had to format anyway now and it works fine again.
i will bookmark this thread thou and reply to your question as soon as it happens again (which shouldnt take too long...)

thank you

Ask a Question