Alcohol 120% in Windows 7

Reaction score
- Please read the whole post before saying "LOL ALCOHOL DOESN'T WORK IN 7" -
I've been using the RTM of Windows 7, everything is working just peachy,
but the one problem I have is this. If I try running my Alcohol 120% installer, I get a big 'ole warning window saying "This program is blocked due to compatibility issues" with the Compatibility Assistant window Title.
Now, before I go on, it's important to mention, that yes Alcohol worked just fine in the beta, and rc for me, but I should note that you don't install the included version of sptd with alcohol, you go to the actual sptd site and obtain a copy of the x64 version that is up to date, and cleanly install it and Alcohol installs in windows 7 FINE! And works without a hitch.
However, now that I'm with the RTM of 7 it appears they have put it on the incompatible list, so that users don't go installing it by accident only to have some sort of problem arise. This is fine for most people, it would make sense, especially since Alcohol doesn't even officially have any support for 7 as of the time I write this.
BUT,
I've scoured the internets up and down and have not found an answer to my question.
Here it is: Is there any way to disable this dialogue? There is no option to bypass it, I've tried every administrative setting and registry tweak imaginable to disable the compatibility assistant, and still nothing. Always comes up the same. Don't say "Just get Daemon Tools" either, I need Alcohol for some of it's specific functions :)
Anyway, if anyone can help me get rid of this dialogue and just install it regardless of "compatibility" that would be amazing!
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: SOLVED! Changed the filename at first, but it still wasn't enough, if it even has alcohol in the name it wouldn't work, changed it to something totally ambiguous and it worked! Hope this helps someone else with the same problem.

2nd Edit: Looks like there is a build available that works just fine right off the bat with windows 7 finally. 7612 build works without a hitch.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Rob, I'm sure that will helps others :)

Reaction score
Rob's solution worked

I changed the filename completely (changed it to "daemon alternative.exe" ;)) and it worked. I tried different things earlier including changing the filename, but i only changed the version part of it, and it didn't do the trick. Curious about how you came up with it.

Reaction score
i tried the same thing..changed the file name to something anonimous..it started working till it asked me to reboot so instalation may proceed, bt ths continued over again even after i rebooted!!!..endlesly!!!..wt should i do????HELP!!

Reaction score
You don't want Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120. They will crash Windows 7 with the use of sptd.sys easily and do.

Free disc emulation which remains forever (even though the other features of the software are paid):

http://www.PowerISO.com

Reaction score
i tried the same thing..changed the file name to something anonimous..it started working till it asked me to reboot so instalation may proceed, bt ths continued over again even after i rebooted!!!..endlesly!!!..wt should i do????HELP!!
This is a very old thread, I started this thread back when the Release Candidate was in use and the RTM just hit the shelves.
If you are having that problem with Alcohol 120%, I suggest that you update to a later build which supports Windows 7, problem solved.

Reaction score
how do you change/upgrade what build you have of windows?
Builds were update mile markers during the Beta/Release Candidate time frame. Now that Windows 7 has been Released To Manufacturer (RTM), these updates are in the form of Windows Update and Service Packs.

To be honest, I believe this thread is no longer relevant.

Reaction score
Windows Update does that with certain patches at times.

You can check your build number with Regedit here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Mine is 7601.win7sp1_beta.100603-1800

7601.16562.x86fre.win7sp1_beta.100603-1800

Ask a Question