Add Comments to files in Windows Explorer

Reaction score
I have many files (mainly .pdf) that I need to add a User comment to in Windows Explorer so that I can identify files that I have processed in our database from files that I still need to register in the database (The folder is constantly being added to)

I have added a comments column in Windows Explorer but cant seem to find where to enter the comment.

Also if this is possible am I able to add the same comment (it can be just a tick box) to multiple selected files?

An add-on utility would be OK if one is available.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I use this with .doc files. maybe it works on a few other extensions.
You have to first create the "comments" column in the view - you seem to have done this.
Right click the (.doc) file and select the details tab.
In the "comments" line, move the cursor over to the far right - yuo will see a small blue outline there, and click.
Write your comment.
P.S It does work on multi file choice - in my case, all .docs.

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, it doesn't work with .pdf files.

The "Comments" line doesn't show in the Details tab :(

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sorry M8. I have browsed and browsed. No success. I even tried a few alternative explorers, but they all piggy back the original, with the same functions.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No need to go to HowToGeek; we have "Take Ownership" available in our Freeware DB. But I fail to see how having Read/Write/Delete permissions would have any effect on what Furn is trying to do.

Only certain file types allow comments and permissions does not change the file type.

Reaction score
This is about a free and open source solution to the problem, available at http://filemeta.codeplex.com.

I began with the same issues, for instance wanting to add comments to research papers that I had downloaded as PDFs. It has bugged me for years, until I got annoyed enough to have a closer look, and it turns out that Microsoft originally intended to provide an answer. NTFS supports the attachment of extra data to any sort of file in a sort of annex called an 'alternate stream'. And built into the file system is an API to store sets of properties in these alternate streams. Even more amazing, Windows Explorer consumes the self -same API for the display of properties as part of its extensibility model. This all dates to the Vista era, and I can quite believe that they were connected up in some beta version. The code to make the connection compiles to one 17 K 64-bit DLL. Especially sweet is that search and the indexing service consume the same API, so that you can search on any comments, tags or other properties that you add.

So why did Microsoft back off? Because, although the properties are stored as part of the file in NTFS , and so get moved around automatically with the file, the properties are lost when the file is moved outside NTFS e.g. attached to an e-mail. Microsoft probably thought this was too big a weakness, and so switched to supporting only properties held within a file format (Office documents, and many image and music file types). But I think this was throwing the baby out with the bathwater, because it meant that not all formats are supported properly or at all e.g. PDF, and text files are doomed never to have any tags, comments etc.

Having got this solution working, I thought there might be other people out there who want to be able to set properties on any file and who are prepared to cope with this limitation. So here it is! Take a look if you think it might work for you.

Last edited:

Ask a Question