SOLVED 64bit to 32bit

Reaction score
I'm contmplating a new desk top PC which will probably have a windows 7, 64 bit system. I still run older programs like Office 2003 that works better on a 32 bit system as opposed to a 64 bit system. Experienced problems on my laptop which is Vista and was originally 64 and I changed to a 32 bit.
Those of you that are running windows 7, did you have the option of changing to a 32 bit system with the software that came with your PC?
As a reference , my existing desktop is running a WIN 2k platform 32bit system. My laptop is running Vista, also with a 32 bit system.
I'l replace the WIN 2K unit with a new PC having windows 7 if I can change it to a 32 bit system.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You may change your Windows 7 OS to a 32 bit system, but to be honest with you there is really no reason to do that.

Windows 7 is far superior to Vista and I believe you'll find that virtually any 32 bit software will run fine on it in a 64 bit version.

64 bit is here and now, AMD and Intel are only making 64 bit processors now with the exception of the Intel Atom which is a 32 bit for netbooks. I don't believe AMD even makes a 32 bit CPU.

Try the 64 bit first and see how you like it. You'll need a minimum of 2GB of RAM per MS recommendations, but most of us running it go with 4GB of RAM.

You can always install 32 bit version later because your product key from MS is good for both versions of whichever edition of Windows 7 you decide to go with, plus we have links here to download the 32 bit ISO image files of Home Premium or Professional. You'll find it as a "sticky" in the Install and Setup section of the forum Home Page.

I hope this helps to answer a few of your questions and concerns.

Remember though, with your product key you are only able to run just one version of Windows 7, either 32 bit or 64 bit, not both.

OH... Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website! :ciao:

Reaction score
32 vs 64 bit

Thank you for your reply. It.s apparant that the tech at the store where I first saw a desktop with Win 7 that had a 64bit system did not know what he wasw talking about.
He told me that I'd have to purchase the program to change to a 32bit system from the 64bit system that came with the new desktop. I have a batch of older programs that ran much better on my Laptop (Vista platform) when I switched to a 32bit system which was an option when Vista loaded.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
This new system you're considering buying. Is is a desktop system or a laptop?

A lot of the systems loaded with Windows 7 that come from the big computer makers do offer the option of loading either the 32 bit or 64 bit on first bootup.

I find it's always handy to have a copy of the install DVD on hand in case of problems down the road though.

For curiosity's sake, what brand and such are you looking at?

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my desktop which is a Compaq EVO running Win 2K '
I was looking at either a Compaq presario or a Dell Inspiron.

Reaction score
Hello geobcon,

Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.
Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP
I hope that helps you out!
You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Reaction score
Thanks John M.
I'm staying with Vista 32bit on my laptop. I'm scrapping my Compaq EVO with Win 2K pro and going to a Dell with Windows 7 and a 64bit OS. I was told that the Windows 7 with the 64bit OS accepts my Office 2003 with no problem. My concern emminated from the problems I had with Vista on my laptop which until I switched to a 32bit OS from a 64bit OS i had nothing but problems when running my Office 2003.
Thanks to all for your help and comments.
Regards,
geobcon

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Office 2003 is running just fine with my win7 64 bit Home premium. No issues at all.

Reaction score
I recently bought a new HP Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I couldn't order 32 bit, nor was I given any opportunity to switch to 32 bit. Some of them might do that, but mine didn't.

It's just as well, because I've had no issues with the 64 bit.

Last edited:

Ask a Question