64 bit driver for Canon i560 Printer

Reaction score
Hi Everybody

This is first post on this forum - so please bear with me should I fail to follow all the coutsies!

I have a home network setup with 4 computers - 3 working computers and the 4th serving as a file server. One of these 3 working computers is a new one - i7, 920 with 6 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM and runs Windows XP Professional 64 bit OS (to be shortly replaced with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS - once I get my disc from Microsoft). All the other PC's run 32 bit Windows XP Professioal SP 3.

I have connected a Canon i560 to one of the working computers running 32 bit Windows XP Professional for a specific reason. Installation this printer as a sharetd printer on this computer was no problem using the accompanying CD. I am able to install the driver for this printer 2 of the other computers running 32 bit Windows XP Professional and hence I am able to print on this printer from any of those printers. So far so good.

The problem however is that when I try and install this printer on my new computer, it says that the driver is not compatible. I search the net for a 64 bit driver, and I did find one for Vista (its a zip file - 20mb) and it unzips and installs the Canon Easy Photo Print utility but I cannot (or do not know) how to use this as the driver for this printer.

Does anyone know how can I get this shared Canon i560 printer to be connected to this new PC of mine running 64 bit Windows XP Professional (soon to be replaced with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS)? The concern is that if I am having difficutly finding a driver for Windows XP Professiona 64 bit for this printer, can I expect the same difficulty in finding a driver for Windows 7 Professiona 64 bit for this printer too?

P.S. Surprisingly, I am able to connect to my new computer an even older Canon LBP660 printer locally connected to my file server computer using its driver for Windows 2000!!!!!!!! Could physical distance be an issue?

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Deepak, welcome to the forums :)

The x64 driver you found for Vista should work no problems with Windows 7 - although it won't work with Windows XP. Physical distance isn't a problem, you could connect to a printer on the other side of the world if a network was set up to allow this :)

Reaction score
Hi Ian

Good to know that it will work with Windows 7.

But because its a zip file and I extract it in a particular folder and when I execute the setup file, it installs the Easy Photo Print utility. So how does this utility help for this printer to find the required driver. What am I missing here? How do I tell it where to look for the driver when it asks me to search a particular location for the driver?

Sorry, but I just don't get it how is this going to work?

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal

Reaction score
Ian

Thanks for your response.

Yes, you are correct in that that the page pointed to apparently does contain printer drivers for the various OS.

However, how do these add-on modules (.exe) files work as drivers. Are we supposed to execute these files into a particular folder and then point to this folder when we are asked to select the location where the driver can be found in the "Have Disk" part of the driver installaltion process?

I can try what I have just explained above tonight but if you think I am on the wrong track, please advise.

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Usually the .exe will put the drivers in the correct area for you and you usually do not have to do anything other than run the .exe and follow any prompts (like plugging in the printer or rebooting)

Reaction score
This thread seems to have ended without resolution. I have a similar problem. My Windows 7 Home Premium laptop, wirelessly connected to an XP pc, will not print to a Canon i560 printer that is connected to the pc via a usb port. I dowloaded the specified "driver" from the Canon driver page, and installed it, but the problem persists. Interestingly enough, a Vista Home Basic laptop prints without any problems.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Please see my answer in your original thread.

This poster may have given up or just as likely they got their answer and never came back to post it as solved.

Reaction score
See my reply to you in my original thread. I wish I knew what they found!

Reaction score
Hello TrainableMan
No, I didn't find a solution - I just gave up!
Which thread are you talking about? Could you please post the link?

Rumin - Which thread are you talking about? Could you please post the link?

Whilst on Canon printers, does anyone know if there is a global driver for Canon LBP660, a very old (but good as gold pritner that I have) that I can use to run with Windows 7, 64 bit edition?

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Rumin, was there something at that link that solved your printer problem? All I see is a search engine to ask questions, and not really about printers, at that.

Reaction score
The gist of that posting was as follows:
"I have a printer setup with 7. Works from all other OS, inlcuding XP Home and Vista.
I've had it connected every way, still works.
When it's connected to 7, you have to have a log in...only issue I've encountered."
His printers are 10 year old HP's :). As I said, pretty frustrating.

Reaction score
Canon LBP660 driver for Windows 7

The gist of that posting was as follows:
"I have a printer setup with 7. Works from all other OS, inlcuding XP Home and Vista.
I've had it connected every way, still works.
When it's connected to 7, you have to have a log in...only issue I've encountered."
His printers are 10 year old HP's :). As I said, pretty frustrating.
Hi Rumin,

Did you manage to use a Canon LBP660 on Windows 7. If yes could you please advise me on what I need tyo do? I am going crazy trying to do so and I would never want to replace my old LBP660, it's just perfect for me. Can you please help? Thanks a lot in advance!

Ask a Question