.ZIP Compression Feature

Reaction score
How come I can't compress any file or folder to .ZIP anymore? All I can do is compress to .RAR, and I can't submit any of my Visual Basic assignments via email when I can only compress to freaking .RAR and my teacher doesn't have the WINRar software to extract it (and it's not like she can't just download WINrar within 30 seconds, but, yeah she doesn't want to do it).

Anyway is there a way for me to still compress folders as .ZIP files? Any way at all? I have a lab due today before 12 midnight.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Look in the WinRAR options _ compression tab - Create default. The option is there to compress to Zip format

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a bad question, but would I do that via opening WinRAR itself, or through clicking a .RAR file?

Reaction score
If you have WinRAR installed, right click on a bunch of files and hit "add to archive..."

WinRAR's compression menu will appear. Select zip as the archive format.

Done.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you have WinRAR or WinZip, I believe you can also create a .Zip archive with nothing in it through the New header in the right click context menu, then dragging your file over the .Zip will compress it into the archive. You could try this method of needed. Otherwise I have WinRAR, so I don't use that Send To shortcut, In my context menu I have the option to "Add to Compressed Archive" from which I can compress to both .Rar, or .Zip.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a bad question, but would I do that via opening WinRAR itself, or through clicking a .RAR file?

To follow my path - Yes. If you follow Thrax's suggestion, then you are using the Windows 7 built in facility, and the option is in the general tab

Reaction score
Thanks dave...but my question wasn't a yes or no one...and Thrax suggested something through WinRAR itself...not through the OS.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Open WinRAR and choose the Options tab at the top.

Then choose the Settings in the sub-menu.

You'll see the following:

Then this:

Click the OK button and you'll have all your future files compressed as a ZIP format.

The WinRAR default icon will still show the file as:

Even though it is a ZIP format compressed file.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
...There was an "or" in my post...
Yes to the OR as well; if you right-click on the file and choose "open with" winrar then again you can get the winrar program and get to Options-Setting but probably not with some of the other winrar items added to your context (right-click) menu so to be clear you need the winrar application so you can get to Options-Settings.

Ask a Question