XP Help - 7's died now part of XP's missing

Reaction score
Sorry, really shouldn't put XP stuff on the Win7 forum, but you guys are too good.

Since I epically screwed up 7 by installing something as an admin and then deleting half the registry, Outlook on XP has decided to go on strike.

Now using Safari and Outlook together, but I get the same problem with Firefox, whenever I click on a link in outlook, safari opens fine, but a little dialogue box comes up on outlook say "Locate LinK Browser" and it wants me to find the Safari.exe file. Yeah I can do this, and it doesn't open the box up, but whenever I click a link it opens two Safari's, even more annoying.
So, I rolled back, Googled the problem, and found that i need to alter the way Windows open URL's and disable "DDE". But on my registered files types list, hypertext transfer protocol isn't there. Darn.

Any fixes to ways to add HTTP to the list?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm sure we can help :) Which version of Outlook are you using (2003/2007?), I'm guessing it's not Outlook Express?

Reaction score
Outlook 2003. I've got the trail of Office 07 but just the Home/Student edition without Outlook, so hopefully there should be no registry clashes.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Sycthus
There should be an option within Outlook's Help menu for Repair Outlook. Note that you may need the office CD.

Reaction score
Thanks, just set it to repair now. Will I need to setup will e-mail accounts again?

Reaction score
Turns out I did need to setup the account again, buts it's pretty easy.

However, still no luck. As I've switched to IE8 (yes, it really is that annoying), I re-checked to "Folder Options" menu in Explorer. And now I do have HTTP as a file type! Back to Safari! And then I don't. Back to IE, and it's there again. So, with IE as default, I changed the HTTP bit to open wioth Safari, but it makes no difference whatsoever.

Ask a Question