Xbox HDD with computers

Reaction score
So I found an old Xbox of mine recently. I stopped using it awhile ago because it quit reading disks. So I took it apart to see what all it had. I found out it had a hard drive that I could put in my computer. Unfortunately when I hook it up to my computer it is recognized as a Blue Ray Drive (also turns the other hard drive I have connected to the cord into a BD drive).

I have done some research and found out that it is locked for some reason and I cannot just do a simple reformat on it.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how I can get it to where I can salvage this old hard drive. I know it is only 6 GB or so, but I want to use it to store backups.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
@TrainableMan- I saw that, it looks really useful, but you need to know the HDD password, which you need a home brew Xbox to get (as far as I know). If there is a way to get the password without the Xbox Please let me know.

@clifford_cooley- huh?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have never done it; in fact I've never owned an Xbox.

I thought it said you need the password to reference the data but that you could format it and use it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It looks like your trick is going to be to find EvoX
http://www.copying-xbox-games.com/evolution-x-tutorial.php

Once you have that "connect your original hdd to your xbox, using Evox, get your hdd password. (in the evolutionx dash go 'system utils' then 'backup' , this will make a directory called "backup" on the C drive of your xbox. "hddinfo.txt" will contain the HD key) "

And you get your password from the hddinfo.txt file:
"Once you have it, It looks like this:
01:23:45:67:89:AB:CD:EF
01:23:45:67:89:AB:CD:EF
01:23:45:67:00:00:00:00
00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00
rewrite it as followed:
0123456789ABCDEF0123456789ABCDEF01234567
Yeah delete the last zeroes, and print it out, ull need it."

Tada, your password key. Least that's how I read the article.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Trainableman's solution should work.

Though, I would like to point out something. You want to use those 6GBs for backups. 6GB isn't enough. You might be able to put one backup on it if you're lucky, but that's it! Also, puting a 6GB hard drive in your computer would be a waste. For a few (50$) $$$$$s you can get a proper hard drive with much more space

Reaction score
@TrainableMan-ill look into that, been a long week though, so ill probably put it off for awhile, I let you know how it goes though.

@Firecat- Im just trying to find a use for it, if it won't work for backups, oh well, at least ill get another few gigs of storage out of it. :)

Ask a Question