Would people move to the RTM

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was just wondering do you think the public are going to stick with there XP's and Vistas or upgrade?

Because the XP users cannot directly upgrade, well not that we have seen in the release candidates, or betas.

However for vista users they will be able to upgrade without loosing programs or doocuments.

I jjust wanted to know your opinions what the public, or evenn yourselves would do?

Reaction score
i guess upgrate coz 1st this is something new , like me, being using xp pro for 6 years , and beign dissapointed with vista , there is coming something new and better , better to try it atleast

i dont belive in any sussesful upgate from completly diffrent cores of os , the best way is a clean install anyway

did u heard Afgin , olg ? its like for me there will no be way to go back to mind crapping pop culture , pointless songs for idiots , some sort of crap that low iq peeps can eat , souless culture for brainless , well for me personally , im gonna stay with win se7ven

Reaction score
as for me i will keep with w7 and will force the family to W7, do you think we will be able to directly upgrade from XP to W7?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
as for me i will keep with w7 and will force the family to W7, do you think we will be able to directly upgrade from XP to W7?
As far as I know you can't upgrade directly from XP to W7 - but I don't think you'd want to even if you could as a clean install with data moved over always performs better. You can use the easy transfer wizard and it will be quite a quick and painless process :)

Reaction score
i know about the transfer wizard, but i have always been a keen fan of the upgrade install, why isnt it recommended?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Primarily because you can't upgrade direct from XP, but also because it transfers lots of things that you accumulate over the years on an old system which are no longer needed. Sometimes settings and incompatible applications are also moved across and it makes for a generally slower system which is much more likely to have strange compatibility bugs. Some people that have done forced upgrades from beta builds to the RC have had similar problems too.

It's still perfectly possible to go from Vista > W7 and plenty of people will do it without a problem, but if you can spare the extra time then it's better to do a clean install IMO :)

Reaction score
I'm thinking for the vast majority of users. The upgrade to windows 7 will come with a new PC. I dont see everyone rushing out just to get the new version of windows. I myself will if the price is not too expensive. As far as the rest of my family they will wait till they have no choice as it appears they are happy with the OS that comes on their machine. For one reason only "The restore partition". I myself use a disk backup utility. Others use their restore partition and for them its easier just to stay with the OS that came on their PC.

it transfers lots of things that you accumulate over the years on an old system which are no longer needed.
Personally that is why I have never been a upgrade guy. Clean installs are a choice I have always promoted.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Whenever I go to Win 7 it will be Clean Intall all the way.

Ask a Question