Would like to go SSD

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a fairly fast computer. I've got an AMD A8 processor at ~2.8 Ghz with 16 GB of RAM. Overall I'm really happy with it but I need more speed and the biggest speed eater is the HD. It came pre-installed with a 2TB 7200 RPM drive.

What I'd like to do is a get a ~250 GB SSD and use that for my OSes, and virtual machines and use existing drive for storage.

My partitions would look something like this:
  • 180GB - Windows 7
  • 60 GB - Ubuntu
  • 10GB - Swap
Trouble is I'm not really a hardware guy. Is there anyway to know if I have an open drive bay with CPU-Z or Speccy rather than opening it up? I don't have a open bay could I just pull my DVD-R drive and use the same cable for the SSD?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You would need an available bay, a power connector from the power supply (or you can buy a splitter if there isn't one available) and an available SATA connection on the motherboard.

If you told us the make and model of your computer we could probably look up the specs, although if you have added a blueray drive or anything extra you should also tell us that. Also, if this is a full-size desktop machine and you can see a door or unused front panel directly under the DVDRom then it is very likely that at a very minimum you have a 5.25" bay behind there which could be used.

Reaction score
You would need an available bay, a power connector from the power supply (or you can buy a splitter if there isn't one available) and an available SATA connection on the motherboard.

If you told us the make and model of your computer we could probably look up the specs, although if you have added a blueray drive or anything extra you should also tell us that. Also, if this is a full-size desktop machine and you can see a door or unused front panel directly under the DVDRom then it is very likely that at a very minimum you have a 5.25" bay behind there which could be used.
Thanks Trainable.

There is an empty bay on the tower facade. The computer is a "ZT Systems ZT Affinity 7166Ma". Everything is as is from the factory I haven't even opened the case.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Expandability (total bays):
•2 x 5.25" Exposed (1x occupied)
•1 x 3.5" Exposed (1x occupied)
•4 x 3.5" Hidden (1x occupied)

So you have one 5.25" bay available and three 3.5" bays available. Hard drives (except laptop HDs) are 3.5" so you would start with those 3 bays. There are also kits available to use 3.5" hard drives in the 5.25" slot (some HDs may even come with the kit included) but until you fill the three 3.5" bays there really is no need.

I haven't been able to locate a picture of the motherboard but I would bet with all those bays that it would have at least one available SATA slot.
And it is also likely you have an available SATA Power connection in there too.

Sorry I can't be 100%. Your computer does include a lifetime warranty so you could call ZT systems @ (888) 984-8899 to ask them if the motherboard has any free SATA connections and if there is an extra SATA power connector from the power supply that you can use.

Ask a Question