SOLVED Word automatically goes 'read only'

Reaction score
Since upgrading from Vista to 7 Home Premium I occassionally find Word (Office 2007) documents that I have previously saved and closed will unexpectedly change to 'read only' and not let me save fresh changes. It does not happen while I am working live - only when I retrieve a document and try to make changes: so it appears 'read only' introduces itself during closing or opening. And it only happens on an irregular and infrequent basis. I can find no reason for this nor have I found any way to undo 'read only'. I never use the REVIEW tool and the UNRESTRICTED ACCESS BOX REMAINS checked at all times. So what is happenning please and how do I stop it. Currently I have to save a copy under a different name, cancel the original. and then rename the copy.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Do you mean the documents that were saved originally in Vista, or even recent docs? If from Vista, they will most probably be locked. If there are not too many involved, then Core's suggestion, for each and every one, might have to be applied. There is no function in Word that would produce that result.

Reaction score
Take ownership of the file, try to open, edit, and save, and report back.
Did this with the patricular document I was reporting on earlier and it did not open as 'read only' and I was able to make changes and save them . This has happened on previous occasions with other documents.It really is quite bizarre.

Reaction score
Do you mean the documents that were saved originally in Vista, or even recent docs? If from Vista, they will most probably be locked. If there are not too many involved, then Core's suggestion, for each and every one, might have to be applied. There is no function in Word that would produce that result.
You make a good point because thinking back the documents I have had the problems with were all older ones done with Vista. You will see from Core I have had success after closing and reopening the document. My pronb;lem of course was that the document I reopended was the one I could not work with earlier today and I have done absolutely nothing to it between then and now to cause the change.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ok. Use the "Take Ownership" file suggested by Core. If you unzip it and run the reg, it will give you a right click option to take ownership of any files or folders.

I would suggest you create a folder and try and identify all the older docs from Vista. Copy and paste them all over to your new directory. Now Take ownership of the folder, then outline the entire conetnts and take ownership of the whole lot.

Before commiting further, see if any of those files will now open and save normally in Office. If you have success, you can copy them all back again.

Reaction score
Ok. Use the "Take Ownership" file suggested by Core. If you unzip it and run the reg, it will give you a right click option to take ownership of any files or folders.

I would suggest you create a folder and try and identify all the older docs from Vista. Copy and paste them all over to your new directory. Now Take ownership of the folder, then outline the entire conetnts and take ownership of the whole lot.

Before commiting further, see if any of those files will now open and save normally in Office. If you have success, you can copy them all back again.
Excuse my lack of knowledge but "Take Ownership" is something all-new to me. Where do I find it please?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You can click core's link, but I have attached it for you here. Unzip it and double clcik the .reg..

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can click core's link, but I have attached it for you here. Unzip it and double clcik the .reg..
Thank youu. You are taking me into the 'unknown waters' so I will do some homework and see where it takes me., Thanks for your help and I think we can close this off now.

Ask a Question