Won't keep folder view settings

Discussion in 'alt.windows7.general' started by Jim, Feb 14, 2012.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Since i started using 7 i never liked the provided windows explorer so i
    have used a couple of other options, but i want to start using the
    provide app, but one thing that is a major pain in the rear for me and
    hundreds of others by looking at google is win7 won't remember my folder
    view settings and what i mean by that is i like mine set up as looking
    at files in "List" format but it keeps changing in the old days of xp i
    could use tweakui but i know there is nothing like this for 7 so does
    anyone know of a reg hack or anything to sort this crazy issue out.

    TIA

    Jim
     
    Jim, Feb 14, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Jim

    Jolly polly Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    news:4f3a101c$0$22053$c3e8da3$...
    > Since i started using 7 i never liked the provided windows explorer so i
    > have used a couple of other options, but i want to start using the provide
    > app, but one thing that is a major pain in the rear for me and hundreds of
    > others by looking at google is win7 won't remember my folder view settings
    > and what i mean by that is i like mine set up as looking at files in
    > "List" format but it keeps changing in the old days of xp i could use
    > tweakui but i know there is nothing like this for 7 so does anyone know of
    > a reg hack or anything to sort this crazy issue out.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jim


    http://www.sevenforums.com/customiz...rfix-manage-folder-window-positions-size.html
     
    Jolly polly, Feb 14, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Jim

    Andy Burns Guest

    Jim wrote:

    > Since i started using 7 i never liked the provided windows explorer so i
    > have used a couple of other options, but i want to start using the
    > provide app, but one thing that is a major pain in the rear for me and
    > hundreds of others by looking at google is win7 won't remember my folder
    > view settings and what i mean by that is i like mine set up as looking
    > at files in "List" format but it keeps changing in the old days of xp i
    > could use tweakui but i know there is nothing like this for 7 so does
    > anyone know of a reg hack or anything to sort this crazy issue out.


    select one folder, get the view as you want it (details view etc) then
    Organise, Folder Options, View, Apply to Folders

    Note this isn't apply to *ALL* folders like it was on WinXP, it's apply
    to all *SIMILAR* folders under Win7, so you might have to set it once
    for e.g. music folders, again for document folders and again for
    pictures folders ...
     
    Andy Burns, Feb 14, 2012
    #3
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On 14/02/2012 08:05, Jolly polly wrote:
    >
    > "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > news:4f3a101c$0$22053$c3e8da3$...
    >> Since i started using 7 i never liked the provided windows explorer
    >> so i have used a couple of other options, but i want to start using
    >> the provide app, but one thing that is a major pain in the rear for
    >> me and hundreds of others by looking at google is win7 won't remember
    >> my folder view settings and what i mean by that is i like mine set up
    >> as looking at files in "List" format but it keeps changing in the old
    >> days of xp i could use tweakui but i know there is nothing like this
    >> for 7 so does anyone know of a reg hack or anything to sort this
    >> crazy issue out.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Jim

    >
    > http://www.sevenforums.com/customiz...rfix-manage-folder-window-positions-size.html
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

    Thanks for the suggestion Jolly that will do for me working a treat.
     
    Jim, Feb 14, 2012
    #4
  5. Jim

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 08:10:00 +0000, Andy Burns
    <> wrote:

    >Jim wrote:
    >
    >> Since i started using 7 i never liked the provided windows explorer so i
    >> have used a couple of other options, but i want to start using the
    >> provide app, but one thing that is a major pain in the rear for me and
    >> hundreds of others by looking at google is win7 won't remember my folder
    >> view settings and what i mean by that is i like mine set up as looking
    >> at files in "List" format but it keeps changing in the old days of xp i
    >> could use tweakui but i know there is nothing like this for 7 so does
    >> anyone know of a reg hack or anything to sort this crazy issue out.

    >
    >select one folder, get the view as you want it (details view etc) then
    >Organise, Folder Options, View, Apply to Folders
    >
    >Note this isn't apply to *ALL* folders like it was on WinXP, it's apply
    >to all *SIMILAR* folders under Win7, so you might have to set it once
    >for e.g. music folders, again for document folders and again for
    >pictures folders ...


    You're the MESSIAH..! I have racked my brains over this until now.
    Thanks thanks!
     
    Peter Jason, Feb 14, 2012
    #5
  6. Jim

    z Guest

    In article <4f3a101c$0$22053$c3e8da3$>,
    says...
    >
    > Since i started using 7 i never liked the provided windows explorer so i
    > have used a couple of other options, but i want to start using the
    > provide app, but one thing that is a major pain in the rear for me and
    > hundreds of others by looking at google is win7 won't remember my folder
    > view settings and what i mean by that is i like mine set up as looking
    > at files in "List" format but it keeps changing in the old days of xp i
    > could use tweakui but i know there is nothing like this for 7 so does
    > anyone know of a reg hack or anything to sort this crazy issue out.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jim


    Another option is to use explorer++
    http://www.explorerplusplus.com/
     
    z, Feb 15, 2012
    #6
  7. In message <4f3aa715$0$10282$c3e8da3$>, Jim
    <> writes:
    >On 14/02/2012 08:05, Jolly polly wrote:

    []
    >>
    >>http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/40916-shellfolderfix-manage-fo
    >>lder-window-positions-size.html
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >Thanks for the suggestion Jolly that will do for me working a treat.
    >
    >

    Butbutbut ... from the above page: "Currently ShellFolderFix does not
    affect view layout/mode, even though I'd like to add support for it in
    future if possible. Only window position and size are
    affected/restored."
    --
    J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

    Intelligence isn't complete without the full picture and the full picture is
    all about doubt. Otherwise, you go the way of George Bush. - baroness Eliza
    Manningham-Buller (former head of MI5), Radio Times 3-9 September 2011.
     
    J. P. Gilliver (John), Feb 15, 2012
    #7
  8. Jim

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 08:05:34 -0000, "Jolly polly" <>
    wrote:

    >
    >"Jim" <> wrote in message
    >news:4f3a101c$0$22053$c3e8da3$...
    >> Since i started using 7 i never liked the provided windows explorer so i
    >> have used a couple of other options, but i want to start using the provide
    >> app, but one thing that is a major pain in the rear for me and hundreds of
    >> others by looking at google is win7 won't remember my folder view settings
    >> and what i mean by that is i like mine set up as looking at files in
    >> "List" format but it keeps changing in the old days of xp i could use
    >> tweakui but i know there is nothing like this for 7 so does anyone know of
    >> a reg hack or anything to sort this crazy issue out.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Jim

    >
    >http://www.sevenforums.com/customiz...rfix-manage-folder-window-positions-size.html
    >
    >
    >


    I'm trying out the 64bit version of this and so far it's looking good.

    The thing is also keeping the "view" as well and for me this is
    essential because on the desktop I have icons and folders containing
    icons and even these have icon containing folders. I'm using the
    "large icons" settings.
     
    Peter Jason, Feb 17, 2012
    #8
  9. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On 15/02/2012 04:08, z wrote:
    > In article<4f3a101c$0$22053$c3e8da3$>,
    > says...
    >> Since i started using 7 i never liked the provided windows explorer so i
    >> have used a couple of other options, but i want to start using the
    >> provide app, but one thing that is a major pain in the rear for me and
    >> hundreds of others by looking at google is win7 won't remember my folder
    >> view settings and what i mean by that is i like mine set up as looking
    >> at files in "List" format but it keeps changing in the old days of xp i
    >> could use tweakui but i know there is nothing like this for 7 so does
    >> anyone know of a reg hack or anything to sort this crazy issue out.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Jim

    > Another option is to use explorer++
    > http://www.explorerplusplus.com/

    I have used that in the past as well as Q-Dir but ++ was crashing a bit
    too often for my liking, but Q-Dir is still being used sometimes when i
    need 3 or 4 copies of a file manger open.
     
    Jim, Feb 18, 2012
    #9
  10. Jim

    z Guest

    In article <4f3f2386$0$19811$c3e8da3$>,
    says...
    >
    > On 15/02/2012 04:08, z wrote:
    > > In article<4f3a101c$0$22053$c3e8da3$>,
    > > says...
    > >> Since i started using 7 i never liked the provided windows explorer so i
    > >> have used a couple of other options, but i want to start using the
    > >> provide app, but one thing that is a major pain in the rear for me and
    > >> hundreds of others by looking at google is win7 won't remember my folder
    > >> view settings and what i mean by that is i like mine set up as looking
    > >> at files in "List" format but it keeps changing in the old days of xp i
    > >> could use tweakui but i know there is nothing like this for 7 so does
    > >> anyone know of a reg hack or anything to sort this crazy issue out.
    > >>
    > >> TIA
    > >>
    > >> Jim

    > > Another option is to use explorer++
    > > http://www.explorerplusplus.com/

    > I have used that in the past as well as Q-Dir but ++ was crashing a bit
    > too often for my liking, but Q-Dir is still being used sometimes when i
    > need 3 or 4 copies of a file manger open.


    How long ago in the past? I have been using ++ for about 3 months
    without any problems.
     
    z, Feb 18, 2012
    #10
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. Grenou
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    14,056
    OldHobo
    Nov 27, 2009
  2. Jambo

    Not remembering view settings

    Jambo, Sep 20, 2010, in forum: Windows 7 Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,839
    Thrax
    Sep 22, 2010
  3. occam
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    1,253
    occam
    Aug 15, 2013
  4. Barry Bernard
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    644
    Barry Bernard
    Sep 5, 2016
  5. jimboe

    windows 7 won't come out of hibernation error

    jimboe, Oct 15, 2016, in forum: Windows 7 Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    488
    jimboe
    Nov 8, 2016
  6. itayzargof2
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    614
    itayzargof2
    Nov 8, 2016
  7. wildchild1954
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    307
    wildchild1954
    Nov 12, 2016
  8. alanwaston

    Widows 7 won't Update

    alanwaston, Dec 26, 2016, in forum: Windows 7 Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    416
    Brian M. Leahy
    Jan 19, 2017
Loading...