WMP Server Execution Failed

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Hoping someone could help me.

Last night I uninstalled Mcaffe antivirus security centre from my PC due to it expiring, and installed Norton 360 v. 4 instead (as work was paying for it, that was the only option I was given!)

Anyway, after carrying out all the installs etc, and updating my system with the Microsoft updater, I went to try listen to some music and instead of Windows Media Player opening, i just saw it flash up then get the error "Server Execution Failed"
So I tried videos, to get the same message!

So then I tried to just open WMP on it's own from the taskbar, but it highlights and does nothing else!
Really could do without the hassle of having to do a clean wipe of windows just for this stupid error!! So any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in Advance
Rob

Reaction score
Did you download McAfee's Removal tool, before installing Norton. If you didn't that may be the issue. Pretty much all antivirus software uninstalls aloso require said antivirus software removal tool from said companies support or downloads site. If you did do that then try using Norton's removal tool to remove Norton and replace it with MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials, which is free and doesn't require any special removal tools. Also, download the free version of Malwarebytes, install it, update it, boot into Safe Mode and run a full scan. Remove anything it finds. Personally, if you're strapped for cash go with MSE and Malwarebytes. Definitlely stay away from AVG, as it's a known BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) causer.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If your work requires Norton 360 then you do what you have to do.

I do agree you should run McAfee's removal tool if they have one. It also sounds like you need to configure some options in Norton 360. Probably the easiest way is to go to Norton Support and ask them to help you authorize WMP. Knowing them they will probably just take over for you and change the settings remotely but you can watch and see what they do on your screen.

Reaction score
thanks for the quick replies guys!
I'll have a go at suggested ideas after work tonight.

I didn't use the Mcafee removal tool, I wasn't aware of this at the start. Can I use it now, despite having uninstalled Mcafee from my system via Windows Install/Uninstall utility?

I've gone with Norton because work's paid for it for me, figured I may as well use it...lol

I have Malwarebytes already, although will run another scan of that to check for anything suspicious.

Thanks, i'll try get in touch with Norton too, see what they say

Reaction score
@ Rob,

1. Control Panel -> Administrative -> Services -> Make sure that all services (with WMP mentioned in their title) are running.

2. No need for Malware Bytes if you have Norton. Besides, they may not work well alongside each other, typicaly resulting in freezes and bsods'.

3. Do not update drivers with Microsoft updater.

Reaction score
Ok, guys, tried all the above suggested, and still no solution! :(

I don't know if it's related, but my gadgets have started to play up a bit as well, some of them are just blank spaces now, but I can still close them!

Grr, could really do without a Format! :(
I've tried a system restore too, don't know if that was a good idea or not though... :(

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Do you have an image backup of the computer, prior to the uninstall of McAfee? If so, you can restore the image, then use McAfee's tool to uninstall it. Normally, I use Revo Uninstaller (free) for these things, they load the proper uninstaller first, then you can (and should) deep scan for registry items, files and folders left behind, as there will be some. Revo is good at this.

If you don't have an image backup of your computer, it's a good time to learn and start doing so, it'll get you out of most any jam, far better than a restore point can.

Cat

Reaction score
Nah but ive been told about these from a friend too! Something like norton ghost? To allow me to restore to a specific time etc? I'll be sure to get one i think after my format! Thanks for the tip though cat!

Reaction score
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]wQo-EySDQPc[/MEDIA]"]YouTube - Server execution failed (Solved)[/ame]

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Bobsy, try the regsrv32 command mentioned in the youtube video and let us know if it works. I wouldn't go setting up the option to have this happen every logon though. If it works I think I can figure out what registry entries you need and create a file that will add it permanently.

Ask a Question