Wireless 5.1 speakers

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got a 5.1 speaker setup for my PC at the moment, but it's not very practical for me to route the rear speaker cables around the room, so I've got them alongside the front speakers and force the output in to normal stereo.

It's a real waste, and I've love to use a proper 5.1 system in this room. Wireless speakers seem like they could be ideal, but I've not used any before.

Has anyone had experience with wireless 5.1 speakers and know if they are actually any good? I know there will be varying quality, but I don't know if a decent set would come close to wired quality.

Any advice would be most welcome :).

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Ian

I don't have any myself but a M8 does and wireless isn't completely wireless - the speakers still need to plug into a power point, so will at least have a power cable each, and unless they're all receivers, some speakers will have cables between them to take audio to another speaker, but there is a lot less cables.

Some nice wireless > http://www2.kef.com/gb/wireless

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
the speakers still need to plug into a power point, so will at least have a power cable each
You wouldn't want a completely wireless system. It takes allot of power for amplification. A sound system would drain batteries very quickly.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Very true Clifford it would cost a small fortune :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Veedaz, I'll take a look at those Kef ones! (edit : It looks like the kit570w has 50% off and is still £1101 :eek:... perhaps I should be looking at wired after all!)

Power cables aren't a problem, as there are sockets in the corners of the room - there's just nowhere to run cables (and I'm renting this apartment, so can't go drilling holes :lol:).

Reaction score
I am in the exact same situation Ian, I have 5.1 surround sound, but use only the two speakers for stereo. It feels like a real waste.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
We have all wood flooring in our house and we use quite a few rugs (Our Cat likes to pounce on a rug and use it like a skate board :D)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you guys not use rugs or anything to hide the wires?
Not easily unfortunately :(. We're renting a place and there are fixed wall units on one site of the room with a build in desk. It's great for my PC, but it means there's nowhere to run cables from it without drilling anything (and because it's a rented place we can't do that).

I've started to use some good headphones when I play games and that seems to kill 2 birds with one stone... great sound and doesn't annoy my g/f by having games blasting out ;)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Ian

Are the Headphones wireless ? (i have been thinking about getting some for some time now)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nope, they are wired ones but I don't mind that :) There are some good Senheiser headphones about for a very reasonable price - I don't know if they do wireless ones though. As I'm at my PC, I don't mind using wired headphones as I can also use them with my iPod.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Would make a nice Christmas prez :D

Edit ... maybe show your gf the link Ian ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wireless systems offer greater flexibility and convenience to home entertainment owners especially when in-wall wiring is not an option.
Benefits :
1) You will be able to make use of the higher-quality surround speakers typical of conventional home theater system.
2) Using the same rear speakers that come with your system helps ensure a more balanced tonal response with respect to the rest of the speakers associated with the different audio channels in a surround sound setup.

Ask a Question