Windows7 RC.. 64 Bit

Reaction score
Hi!,
Is anyone using Win7 RC..64bit. and what if any problems are you having??

Reaction score
I am using this now and I don't have any problems at all. Are you using the 32 bit version currently?

You may as well give it a try as it's better to find out that the 64 bit version works well on your machine before purchasing the full version of Windows 7.

Reaction score
Win7 64Bit

Thanks for your reply,
Have been playing around with various configerations in 32bit... My sys. OK for 64bit..So have been trying that too....
I have few issues with some programs and have tried an upgrade install from Vist 64bit.. installed Ok and Vista installed programs upgraded and worked OK.. however the sys. will not go into auto sleep mode!! ,,,....Have tried all the usual things with the power settings etc.....64bit seems a bit faster than the 32bit!!:)

Reaction score
I'm using the 64-bit on a desktop and laptop PC. The laptop is an HP that came pre-loaded with Vista. I was about to sell the laptop until Windows 7 RC came along. The general performance and 'feel' of that laptop JUMPED when Windows 7 was loaded on it.

I haven't put the Windows 7 RC onto my main use PC because I can't seem to get the Windows Mobile sync tools to install and function. I have a WIndows Mobile PDA phone that sync to quite regularly and need that tool. So, i'll have to punish my main machine with Vista until I can find that tool.

Reaction score
win7 64 Bit

Thanks for your input Khaotic:),
I know what you mean I have two programs I could not live without, very expensive to replace and then a Huge..Huge amount of work transfering data.
My work around for that is a clean install of XP 32 or Vista 32 the one in which your program installs and works..install only the programs you can't live without..and then install Win7 32bit as an upgrade then hey! presto the programs will work very well indeed.....This same method works with Win 64bit as well..
A word of caution.. I read a recent flyer stating that after the evential official release of Win7 you will not be able to upgrade Win7 RC to Win 7 but will have to make a fresh install.!!:eek:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I would suggest a fresh install regardless... why would you want to use beta code as the foundation for your official Windows 7 installation? It's just asking for trouble, and these forums have plenty of users that have run into problems after performing in-place upgrades already. :)

Reaction score
None of my Firefox extensions (including themes) worked, so I went back to the 32 bit version.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
None of my Firefox extensions (including themes) worked, so I went back to the 32 bit version.
I have not had any issues using plugins or themes with the latest 32bit version of Firefox.

Reaction score
I installed 64 bit on my machine, for a while, just to see how it would run in 2gb. I was very happy with the result. Very snappy, snappier than 32-bit, but that could just be a placebo effect due the 32->64 "It's a higher number it must be better" subjective psychology of mine.
One game I play all the time (C&C Zero Hour) wouldn't work in 64-bit so I am back with 32-bit. Otherwise, it all ran great. No issues to speak of, no Firefox issues, nadazipzilch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have not had any issues using plugins or themes with the latest 32bit version of Firefox.
Freash build on a 64bit rc and I have three 32 bit going and no problems with any addins plug ins for firefox........

Reaction score
I installed the 64 bit RC about a month ago, and just recently the 32bit version of Internet explorer has just randomly stopped working and then had to close and restart. i even sometimes get a bsod. i cant figure out why its doing this, any ideas?

Reaction score
Have you installed any new drivers, software?
Have you tried another web browser, such as google chrome, or safari?
How much RAM do you have in your PC? You probably know this already, but the recommended is 2gb of RAM.
I have also had problems with IE. Im going to post a new thread about web browser problems :)

Reaction score
Im running 64bit with 2gb ram, seems fine. runs all my games, if a little laggy sometimes(thats a graphics/driver issue though) and overall im happy with it. Ive not had any problems with firefox and plugins.

And everyone should agree with kougar, why would you want to base your OS on a beta?

Reaction score
Have you installed any new drivers, software?
Have you tried another web browser, such as google chrome, or safari?
How much RAM do you have in your PC? You probably know this already, but the recommended is 2gb of RAM.
I have also had problems with IE. Im going to post a new thread about web browser problems :)
Isnt chrome buggy/hackable as all hell?

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I haven't found Chrome buggy at all. Haven't heard anything definite about 'hackable'.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Isnt chrome buggy/hackable as all hell?
Not at all, I use it 100% of the time. I actually like it better than IE and firefox. A LOT better. :D Super fast, secure, and reliable. :)

Reaction score
I'm running 64bit. No bugs at all. A few little problems like the low res first install bootup issue and the changing setup compatibilities to Vista.

Other than that it works perfect.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've been running 7 RC x64 for a couple weeks now with no problems. I use the Minefield x64 beta (aka Firefox x64) and other than no 64 bit Flash player for Windows it runs great.

Sam

Ask a Question